1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not good news for racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Remember when Lucky Strike, Marlboro, Camel, and Rothmans were forced to stop advertising to kids?
    This is not intended as a moral debate about the causes of smoking verses caffeinated sugar water just pointing out a potentially problematic event on the horizon for the current main sponsors of road racing.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-energy-drinks-20130901,0,1590016.story

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

How can you compare energy drinks to cigs..? :rolleyes:

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You're trying to apply logic to the situation... I understand the urge, I have it too, but it doesn't apply when you're talking about the actions of Senators.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Oh lord....next someone will limit the size of a soda sold to the public.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yeah, I know, just couldn't help myself..:D

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Nobody blinked when they went after cigarettes. Now on to energy drinks. What's next???

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Motorcycles?????

8. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Doesn't anyone remember the ban on three wheelers to children in the late eighties? There's always a continuing effort to ban four wheelers and motorcycles to kids under 13 it seems. It's sad there are a lot of parents not taking a constant interest it what their children are doing... and beating their butts when they get out of line.

I'm out! This topic can go way too deep and end up in the Dungeon... which I try to stay out. This is going to be a good day and I don't feel like being pissed off :D

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They put stickers on your CDs.

10. What a damn joke. Those fuckers need to find something productive to do instead of wasting millions of dollars and a bunch of time looking for the next thing to "save" us from.

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I will risk the ban..... "Those Fuckers" are people who work for the US Government..who have to invent shit to justify their jobs..."Protecting the Children" is the best way to secure their position, and remain employed.

It happens everyday.

12. Yep, that is who i was referring to with the "those fuckers". :)

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What I do not understand is how some people think it is reasonable to ban advertising for a legal product. If the product is so bad then make the it illegal. Otherwise leave them the hell alone.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Second most useless pack of fucks in the country.....congress being first.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Um, did anyone else notice that the author thinks the drinks are primarily consumed by kids staying up late to study?

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I couldn't tell you if they are or not. They weren't around when I was up late studying, and I don't have kids that age. I do know that I spent 30 minutes at dinner Saturday telling my 10 year old nephew why energy drinks aren't all they're cracked up to be. I certainly don't agree with targeting kids, if in fact they are, but, I also know the onus certainly isn't solely on the companies doing the advertising. JFC, parents have to try and instill a set of values that help their kids make better decisions and for the love of god simply be able to say no.

17. Tony216

Tony216 Well-Known Member

Like many parents, I don't want my son drinking energy drinks. Unfortunately, some of us choose to spend the time and energy necessary to ensure that our children grow up with boundaries and responsibility. Others prefer to let the government handle it.

18. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

^^^I think that was kind of where I was going [​IMG]

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Isn't it the parents job and not the gooberment's job to watch out for their kids? I can count on one hand the number of sodas my daughter has drank.

Energy drinks are not the best thing for you, common sense tells you that. If you have to rely on these three idiots to tell you that you're an idiot and it should be illegal for you (and them) to breed.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It's not on them at all. It's not their job to make sure someone's kid with a bad heart valve doesn't chug a bunch of caffeine any more than its McDonald's job to make sure your kid isn't fat. It's a parent's job. They make money, parents raise kids. Two very different jobs that I find impossible to confuse. Others seem to think Monster should give more of a shit about their kids than they do.