1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

supermoto help

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Jul 13, 2013.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

So I just sold the RR last night (sad times) and Im looking to move over to a supermoto.
    Im not particurally sound in the dritbike scene of what years are good, what years to watch out for, what model to roll with and etc.

What im looking for, I would love something already set up with the dirt spares. I live about an hour from a track that does some supermoto racing, and about 10 minutes from a pretty nice MX park. I'll also be riding with WERA in LWT, DSS/SB and Clubman. Probably not looking at wins, but I've got a couple of friends running those classes on so I'll have someone to race with.

Looking to spend probably a max of around $5k, already set up with a dirt and sm setup.

So what manufacturers and models should i be looking for?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

there will be more knowledgeable people come along as far as the road racing aspect. but from the dirt and supermoto side.a 450f is the biggest bike you would want and could be competitive on.
    you have a really healthy budget which is good because you are asking alot from the bike to do all three things. you would need a extra set of suspension to go from dirt to supermoto/ road race and be competitive imo.
    as far as brands Yamaha has always seemed like the most reliable to me, kawasaki is good also, ktm is solid as far as i know. suzuki had a 4 speed transmission until 08. honda was known to have vavle issues until recently.
    check supermoto junkie for info and classifieds :beer:
    i hope this helps.

3. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Planed sumo = hand grenade.

4. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Damn. Took bad you're on the opposite end of the country, I'd still you my 450 for cheap.

[​IMG]

5. Alright stupid question time. What's entailed in converting my yz250 into a supermoto? I'm I'm the process of rebuilding it right now frame and swing arm are getting powder coated next week. Suspension and wheels?

6. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

ah...supermoto aka money pit!!!

7. noles19

wheels and upgraded front brakes, and some sliders. that's really all you need to get started. suspension wise firm up the front to help with brake dive, other then that wait till you're being help up by the stock stuff then go to fbi, or someone like them.:rock:

8. noles19

:crackup: i'm not sure why but supermoto does seem worse then roadracing in people thinking they have to through money at it!
    like they and everyone else has to have
    carbon wheels
    full ohlins suspension
    full brembo setup
    custom graphics ect.ect.

9. Any places anyone can recommend to look for wheels and brake upgrades? Used preferred. But cost effective new is ok. It's a side project to my r1.

I'm also the ultimate thread jacker. Lol

10. noles19

supermoto junkie.com what year is you bike? with Yamaha you're lucky because if i remember right 1999 through 2008 all use the same wheels. as far as braking setups most people just upgrade the rotor to a 320 to start.
    something like this http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/ebp-sm6728c?seid=pspse1&gclid=CIm1uuy8rbgCFUlp7AodBnwAtw
    also for new wheels warp 9 and dna wheels are cheap but pretty good, with excel seeming like the best.

11. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Unless your just doing for the pure enjoyment of riding you would want a better platform to make a motard. The power delivery on a 2 smoke is going to be miserable trying to keep up with guys on 450f's

12. noles19

lot of places allow 250 2t to race the lights class, so it wouldn't be so bad that way imo.

13. It's a 1996. It's just my woods bike I bought it for dirt cheap. Motor is getting rebuilt. Still need to drop off the cylinder to RM racing on here. I figure I may as well make it a super moto to mess around with while its in pieces.

Edit. Before anyone says it I know that year motor is a dog but it has a long rod kit, port matched power valve and porting done on the inside and it does exactly what I want it to do.

It's only going to be for woods/trails riding and messing around with the supermoto setup on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Got a friend of mine who's exclusively done road racing on his YZ450F super mono. The thing has been surprisingly bullet proof and he's taken it to some big tracks.

15. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I've got a YZ450F for sale cheap, it's set up for dirt but you could get the sumo wheels & brakes & still be under your $5k budget.

16. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I want to ride the big track at Miller on mine, but i give it two laps down the front straight banging off the 5th gear limit before it pops. I wonder how a cr500 swap would handle it?

17. It's just for fun. It'a just to dick around with. If I really enjoy it ill buy a 4 stroke to get a little more serious with.

18. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

yeah, I was getting off the RR because I didnt want to have to buy tires every single weekend.
    Also the supermoto is something I've always wanted to run and its a plus that one of the series races not too far from the house (actually closer than Jennings)
    Im not expecting to throw a ton of $ at it. If I can get away with just some stiffer springs in the front then thats what i'm going with.
    The dirt set up desire is just because i havent ridden much dirt aside from the very brief period that I owned an XR250 I took it through some woods a few times. Being so close to an MX park and the SM races actually having dirt jumps, I figured it would be a good idea to practice some of that before actually going out there and racing....

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

There is a very nice KTM supermoto for sale by us for $3500. I would get something like that and keep your two smoke for the dirt. That way you don't have to swap stuff back and forth all the time.

There were some stories of guys supermoto-ing 500 two strokes and it didn't work that well.