1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Paula Deen!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one is insulted by them either...

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm willing to be insulted if it gets me on TV. :D

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What makes a word offensive is the intent of the user when saying it.
    Nigger was not an offensive word as originally used, nor is it considered offensive today when used in some instances.
    The same holds true for cracker.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not sure I'm buying that one. Knee grow and colored, maybe, and even those would depend on speaker and context.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It was just an adaptation of a Spanish word.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Ride by any high school and you will hear black kids calling white kids nigger/nigga. They called my nephew that all the time, he rolled with black, white and hispanic kids in school. I would pick them up from school and they would tell me "Thanks Nigga" for taking them home.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

So, I went to see Dave Chappelle do standup tonight... and while it wasn't The Chappelle Show of old, it was pretty good. One of the funniest things of the night was almost (I think) completely unscripted. He was playing dumb, trying to get a white guy on the front row to tell him and everyone else about Paula Deen. Claimed not to know who she was, what she was famous for, or what she did wrong... Was trying to see if he could get him to say it... Funny as hell though...

At a certain point, when someone like Dave Chappelle makes you squirm long enough, being all uncomfortable about racial slurs and stuff, you just have to go with it... "Dave, I know you know who she is... She makes Fried Chicken, N---a!" and the crowd roared...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We were using nigger in the early 70's - black and white and whatever. Never thought about it and it wasn't an insult to us. Then we got older and influenced by society and shit went downhill.

9. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Learned a valuable lesson on the impact of certain words, depending on circumstances from my 8th grade English teacher... He told us about the time he was in College at a football game, seated next to him was a Black lady who would cheer loudly saying the name of of one player repeatedly. After putting 2 and 2 together, he turned and innocently said "is that your boy?" The mother was obviously hurt, even though he meant nothing by his question.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Funny, I never new I should be offended when someone asked if Kris was my boy...

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sometimes people are simply looking for an excuse to be offended.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is Kris the only white kid around?

13. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

It was a football game. Surely there were plenty of black players.

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

:crackup:

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You know that innocence has died when a simple word is, because of political correctness, bastardized to mean something else. For example, back a couple of years or so ago some politician used the word "niggardly" and some of the black "leaders" tried to make an issue of it nationally. What that showed is that those leaders have a niggardly (so to speak) portion of brain matter.

16. turner38

We adopted him, he was born a poor black child.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

At least he's not the color of a baboon's ass.

18. turner38

His momma would love him even if he was.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally depends on the college. Could be some art school with a sucky team of all white guys.

Edited to add that I'm cracking up since I'm currently in a town with a liberal arts school that has one hell of a football team :crackup:

20. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

I don't remember the college, it was however during late 60's. Momma was obviously proud of her son, playing ball while attending college. Who knows, maybe her son was the first in their family to attend college. Either way, I'm sure race tensions were running high at the time. Totally understandable IMO.