1990 FZR400 fuel pump running constantly

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Metalhead, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

The fuel pump on my 1990 FZR400 is running constantly. STRONG too. I did crash it on it's right side a few weeks ago. Coincidence?

Advice?

2. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I had my TZ fuel pump running constantly once after a rebuild. Turned it off once I discovered fuel pouring out the airbox all over the ground!

Oops, left the carb drain plug off...

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Pull the carbs apart...probably some trash in a float needle seat.

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

yes, check this.

However, is it running at full tilt? If yes, then it seems like you might have something else going on, I'd suspect the pump is going flaky.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

There is a fuel pump relay in the circuit that is supposed to shut the pump off after 30 continuous seconds. Check the relay first, then the pump. It is also supposed to shut off at a certain pressure, so then check the pump to make sure it is actually pumping. The FZR can run without the pump, just not a low fuel levels, especially if the diaphragm is messed up. Relay first, pump second.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:D Nope. Checked that.:)

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Okay, that's not out of question. But, when I say the pump is running STRONG, I means it's never ran that hard and loud before. I've had stuck needles before and could hear the pump compensating for the lost fuel and it doesn't sound like that at all.:confused:

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

First on my list too. It's running at a sound and speed that it's never ran before. To me it's kinda like right before a lightbulb in a lamp will burn out, it get's REAL bright.

Just a hunch though.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Will do this first.:up:

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Oh, and here's another damned thing....my right front caliper is leaking brake fluid. I'm guessing they're both crash related. FML.

11. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

fuel lever in the "on" position? dunno about the fzr but on my cbr if i leave the fuel "off" the pump will run constantly.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is it pumping fuel or just spinning its wheels?

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Thanks but, it's on.:)

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

It's pumping like a mofo. When I turned the key on today, I heard it priming like hell. I didn't think twice about it when I hit the start switch and the bike fired up INSTANTANEOUSLY! Then it idled on choke like a scalded dog.

15. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

How low is the fuel? Borderline reserve level by chance? And how long did you let the bike run?

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

i bet if you pulled the line off it's running, but not actually pumping. probably a bad diaphragm.

as for the leaky caliper - where's it leaking from? look close, check twice, that stuff is sneaky.

OH and in my experience, FZR 400's are the master of the coincidental, unrelated mechanical issue. Stuff that seems to be related, but is really totally random, just to add to the madness...........

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Half tank. About ten minutes.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Make sure the hose isn't pinched. Pick the tank up and let it run. Also what Kenny said but then your carbs will look like mine. Filled the crankcase.

Also, just take the calipers apart and it means your O rings are leaking. It is from the heat of racing.

Beleive me, your hose it bent.... Ask me how I know. If not, check the relay.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's the calipers and not fork oil migrating down from a weeping seal?

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I might have found something. Checking relays right now.