1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the best deal, on a redundancy

Discussion in 'General' started by RichB, May 7, 2013.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Almighty beeb,
    I'm looking for some advice here. The company I work for has been on the receiving end of a takeover, completed last Friday. I figure I'm fcked anyway so some of these suggestions cant hurt :D In all likelihood the office in my city is going to get the cut, and the process has commenced to inform everyone affected. It will be relocated to a downsized office then cut completely. I believe my team will get the news tomorrow they are no longer required in the office. I do not think the new owners are negotiable, but in terms of playing the best hand possible, what do you think is the best way? I am also assuming some positions in their home city will be made available, although it wont be a genuine alternative for most of the guys affected. Feign interest with a view to negotiation & then rejection, or accept 1st deal and move along?

2. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Do what's best for YOU. Not for the company. Sorry. But company loyalty is long gone. Companies don't bat an eye when it comes to downsizing and not handing out decent severance packages in general. So if you have to negotiate to keep employed a few weeks while job hunting. Do it.

What area are you talking about? City? Industry?

Do you have any idea how the downsizing will happen? All at once? Or 90% followed by the guys to turn out the lights?

3. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Agreed, these guys haven't been transparent, although I know they have a job also re: maximising shareholder returns etc via cost cutting. I think it will come to a rapid halt for all office people this week. City is in Australia, mining industry, pretty large coy's. I have no experience with this stuff, so I'm simply looking for ideas from people who may have experience in it. I honestly doubt I have any wiggle room, but if there's a strategy to play ill give it a go.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Ah..that explains the use of the word "redundancy". I was gonna say why don't you use the word "fired".

Look for a position somewhere else in the new company and be willing to relocate. That's about all I got.

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion but you misread, I am simply wanting to cut the best deal possible on exit with no current ambition to work for the new company.

Yeah, but being fired implies incapability or breaches of conduct etc resulting in warnings and then being marched into the boss' office and being given the good news. Redundancy/retrenchment etc is when the position is no longer available or required, hence the employee is no longer required and is either redeployed or retrenched - in which case all entitlements are paid out including notice in lieu or other 'handshake' type payments to make sure they gtfo. That's the part I'm interested in. Obv could be different between the countries but thats the angle I'm coming from.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You should steal as much toilet paper as you can before this ship goes down.

Sorry for the lame ass joke, not trying to laugh at this tough situation. Best of luck.

7. ton

ton Arf!

in the US you'd have two choices:

1) take whatever severance is offered when your position is eliminated
    (or don't take the severance and reserve your right to sue)

2) take the job at the new site if that's offered to you.

if you go with option 2, there will be no negotiation. you'll take whatever relocation package they offer or you won't have the job (unless you're a top dog that they're willing to bend over backwards for. but if that were the case, they'd have already been in touch). if you don't want the job in the first place, but feign interest and reject it, you'll end up with option 1 at best. probably you'll just be quitting with nothing as they offered you option 1 and you rejected it.