1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any barbers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Mar 21, 2013.

1. styles

styles The untrained eye

Been looking into going to barber school part time. It costs a little over $6k and 1500 hours to complete the program at the local barber school.

Any current/former/future barbers on here that can tell me about their experiences?

2. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I think barber school could be a trim-athon of fantasy proportions. Do it.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

a dying artform.

which is a shame. I love oldschool barbershops cause nothing beats a hot towel straight razor shave.

4. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

This. But I was told whatever board that governs barbers and hairstylists outlawed the straight razor. Not sure if that was true or just an excuse from the barber because he didnt want to do it.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My barber uses a straight razor, but when he picks it up, I start thinking of Sweeny Todd.

6. Mine still uses a straight razor. I don't go there for haircuts, just a shave.

7. In Your Corner

Still using that old Flowbee at home?

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Is it worth it? Have wanted to do that.

Nevermind, I know the answer. :)

9. styles

styles The untrained eye

All of the shops I've been to in northern va and socal still use straight razors, although they should be using disposable blades.

10. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

dude!

its so good that now, i only use a straight razor when i shave at home.

11. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Not sure where you live, but Trim in Clawson does a great job.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I had a two week'er going after my surgery and was itchin' to get it done somewhere. I still regret not trying to have it done somewhere just for fun.

13. ms.madman

ms.madman Well-Known Member

I go to an old barber few miles from me in the small town I live in. He has mentioned the lack of people taking it up as a job. In response to the straight blade, he mentioned he can't use it anymore due to chance of touching infected blood if it cuts a patron. Some sort of insurance liability issue. He first told me about it in January.
    I miss the feeling of it and hot shaving cream cleaning up my neck. He uses a regular blade someone would use for shaving their face nowadays.

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I use a straight razor that fits disposable blades.

my barber uses the same.

15. In Your Corner

Didn't even know they made those.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

My dad had decided to up and quit his career and go to barber school about 10 years ago. He worked at a barber shop for a while and now he owns his own shop. It's been hard for him starting up a small business in today's economy. He loves it though.

A while back I read an MSN article talking about how the barber profession is going out the door, in favor of salons, but I still know quite a few people who go, including me.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

real men dont go to salons

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Go for it dude! I do miss the barbershop camaraderie. Nature had different plans for my hairline evidently.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I go to a salon. Mainly because my aunt cuts it for free in trade for me being her maintenance man. :)