Good book(s)

Discussion in 'General' started by opinion914, Mar 4, 2013.

1. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I'm not a reader. I find it hard to focus, my mind will wonder, I get eye strain and I become flooded w/ ideas of many other ways of spending my free time, all before I get to the 2nd page. RRW articles are the extent of my comfort zone.

This being said, I'm nearing the end of what is probably the 1st book I've ever read voluntarily; A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's somehow broken down the walls I've built up protecting myself from literature and it's been a pleasure reading this. It's basically a report of a gentlemans trek up the Appalachian Trail.

I'm looking for other good book(s) recommendations since I'll be done with this one shortly. Whatchagots??

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

:D See you same time next year.

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Are you a dog lover?

Marley and Me.

4. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Not really along the lines of the book you're into now but it's definitely one you can't get away from/won't bore you.

5. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Awwww that movie was awesome. Tear jerker

6. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Oh and fifty shades of grey gets my vote. :)

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

First question would be; what are your interests? Fiction, science, military, espionage? I tend to be somewhat as you. If I pick up a book that's not within my interests I immediately grow bored with it and my mind wanders.

(all you that suggest that my mind wanders anyway can kiss the South end of a Northbound skunk.) :)

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Stay away from Ayn Rand. She'll make you grumpy.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:p

10. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

The art of racing in the rain

11. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Benjamin O Davis Jr. American

Autobiography of General Benjamin O Davis Jr. Commander of the Tuskegee Airmen.

One VERY sharp individual and a great read.

12. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I just picked up a bunch of the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson at the library. Not bad, and really easy reading.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'm very much the same way. I really have a hard time focusing on reading, but have just started reading again, because it fills the time while flying.

I went off a recommendation on this board about good reads, and picked up Triggerfish Twist by Tim Dorsey. I found his writing to be pretty funny, but his plot/character development was too simplistic for me to really enjoy. It wasn't boring, just not deep at all. The whole time I was reading it, I felt like I was in a cartoon.

The next book I picked up was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I really like Dan Brown books. The pace is really frantic, which makes it easy to keep yourself buried in it. It covers secret societies and uncovering hidden things.

Back when I read more often, ~10 years ago, my favorite books were Spy novels. I really like Robert Ludlum. I liked a couple earlier Tom Clancy books, but then I read Red Rabbit and it was boring as hell. It seemed like a book he churned out just to make a buck.

I think my favorite book to-date was Sho-Gun by James Clavell, but I don't think that is a great book for keeping your nose buried. It was just a really good story to me. It's about a Dutch boat pilot that ends up in Japan in like 1500's or so, and adapts to their culture. The traditional Japanese way was pretty intriguing to me.

My next book will be a Lee Child book, probably whatever they have in circulation at the library. I can afford free.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Patterson is good. Dean Koontz is another entertaining author.

15. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say Non-fiction would be my thang. Something rooted in reality and somethng that a mid-30's man w/ a taste for adventure would like. It really comes down to the author though. He/She has to be entertaining but not overly dramatic. Think 'Long Way 'Round', This is Not a Robbery, One Man's Wilderness, etc.

16. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

You like that book?

How YOU doin'? *in my best NY eye-talian fake accent*

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Calvin and Hobbes :D

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I absolutely love his old stuff - Watchers, Shadowfires, House of Thunder, etc. He kinda got diarrhea of the mouth in the last few though. Dark Rivers of the Heart is a good one and so is the Odd Thomas stuff.

19. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I believe that's called the "Joey Tribbiani."

20. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

If you like fiction and you havent read The Da Vinci Code check it out. If the first 2 pages don't grab you then you may not like it. Great book however... same with Angels and Demons. They may be in the teen realm, but the Hunger Games books are good. Harry Potter books are pretty decent as well for some easy reading.

As mentioned above, the Alex Cross books are good, easy reads, but get a bit repetitive.

And then there were none by Agatha Christi is a classic murder mystery.