All Knowing BBS --cell tower lease

Discussion in 'General' started by eurobiketrash, Feb 14, 2013.

1. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about leasing land for a cell tower? Have a friend that was approached about leasing some of her land for a cell tower. Ins and outs....rent amounts and alike?

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

There are agencies that will do this for the landowner.

If I recall correctly, I think the nation-wide average is between $15,000.00 to $19,000.00 annually.

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

My father-in-law has a tower on his land. I think he gets somewhere around $30,000 annual? I know that the company comes back to him constantly and tries to renegotiate the contract to a lower rate. He tells them no everytime and they don't have a choice.;)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Stand too close to one of those things and your testicles will pop like popcorn kernels. :D

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Somebody has to say it: "Pics or it didn't happen".

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Dave's mug shot is in the names to faces thread...

:D

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Unless it is a unique circumstance, you take what they offer. If you don't, your neighbor will and you'll still have to look at it without collecting rent.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

A coworker bought some farmland with a tower on it. What he didn't realize when he bought it was that the previous owners of the land did a one time payment amount with the tower owners so he gets nothing but a few hundred a year to cover taxes.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'd have inquired into the business arrangements ahead of time.

10. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I did some real preliminary investigation once.

Where I'm at half the tower has to be able to fall on the property. Don't know if that's nationwide. If you're in a populated area and have the right elevation and property size a site's pretty valuable. Out in the country not so much unless you have the one high point they need.

If the cell company's approached your friend they've already put a fair amount of research into the site. You should be able to look at neighboring properties and get an idea how bad they need it.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Barbeque Run Road - AWESOME

13. kangasj

kangasj Banned

"The Gilmer County Volunteer Fire Department responded to a gas well fire Barbeque Run Road area in Normantown, WV Monday morning, February 11, 2013." One hell of a barbeque I'd say...

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I have negotiated a number of these. The companies tend to be very rigid, and not all that accomodating, and downright unfriendly later on.

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Think about how the lawyers/operations get their bonuses.

"Reduce OpEx by 30% year-over-year" is the goal. I'd NEVER take that job, even if it were Director/VP of Operations.

16. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

the deal is, each one is minor, and each one individually is not worth messing with for the company, and the system can only work if all of its components stay in place, and managerially it is only feasible of the terms remain consistent place to place, and economics wise, it only works if the price stays down--if the price for one goes up, they all go up. This means, basically, you almost have to take what they offer and you have very, very limited bargaining power to, for instance, get a special term, now or later if things change. Maybe not a problem, depending on where you are and what the tower is located on and how well you understand what your future plans for the land are. Just remember, these guys are used to getting their way and they are not shy.... On the other hand, it is some money, every month.

17. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I know very little about it other than that I build the stuff they mount to on water towers, but I know one thing to consider is the difference in a freestanding tower, and a guy tower. Free standing tower, tower and the building for the components, will only take up maybe 150 ft x 150ft area tops. A guy tower on the other hand takes up that PLUS it has to have small areas for the guy cables to tie in several hundred feet away. It effectively can take up a LOT of area. They likely pay a lot more.

I Have heard of people making like $5-6k just for the small area a guy cable lands on their property (takes up maybe 5'x10ft on some of them).

As for the "dangers" from the radiaton, it is pretty small to non on the ground. That and it is "non ionizing" radiation, which means it is not a cancer risk. It is more like a microwave. It heats up from the inside. If you stood in front of one of the cells it can make you sterile :D.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

All depends on the Service Provider negotiations... Can you hear me now??.?.?

19. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I worked for Alltel for years maintaining the equipment in the sites. Mine are still intact. :D Now being in a site during a lightning storm is a "hair raising" experience. :eek:

Have you ever seen a tower collapse?

Yeah, not as bad as a gas leak. Those things will level a community!

20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Deseret Ranch is 385,000 acres bordering the St Johns river in Florida. It's owned by the Church of LDS (Mormons). A few years ago it was the #1 cattle producing ranch in the US. At that time more $$ was made off the utility leases, than the cattle.

There is money there, hire someone who knows their shit to broker the deal for you.