1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steak Question

Discussion in 'General' started by bullockcm, Jan 31, 2013.

1. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Should all steaks be cooked to the same doneness?

Never thought about this before and always do medium rare but had a mild flare up on a couple of ribeyes last night that pushed them to medium well. I was expecting them to not be the best but actually liked them better than normal.

So what say the beeb? Are some cuts better when they are cooked a little more? My normal is medium rare NY Strips sliced thin which don't get any better when cooked more IMO.

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Some cows are more tender and taste better than others.
    OR you may like well done meat.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

If you get the chance, go to your local grocery store and pick up a bottle of Allegro marinade. Marinate your steaks about 45 minutes at room-temperature then grill as you normally would. My wife and I found this marinade by accident a while back, and it is totally the bomb! Best-tasting steaks we've ever had! You'll thank me later.

Again, it's ALLEGRO meat marinade, in the worchester sauce/bbq sauce section. Good stuff!

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Sometimes we flavor our steaks, I'll give it a try.
    Mostly though, we like the taste of meat with just some fancy French sea salt that's gathered by virgins (not kidding).

5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Send Carpenter to France and the salt will henceforth be collected by just women. Just sayin...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All done to mid rare. All with a bit of oil, salt, pepper. That's it. I don't mind the tougher cuts taking a little more effort to chew since they usually have flavor to offset that.

7. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Med-rare for me most of the time but on heavily marbled steaks like rib eyes I like the texture and flavor of the fat better when slightly more done. On leaner stuff like filet's I can happily go rare.

So to the OP, do whatever you like and yes there are often times when more or less done is appropriate IMHO

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

yes, depends on the marbling of the grade/breed and the fat content of the cut.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Cow....is good.

10. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Allegro Marinade, don't use it always, but it is really good!

Med Well here.

11. grantcarruthers

^^^^and the expert has spoken^^^^^^^

So when can I test some Wag?:clap:, I'm flying down for COTA and could put a good word in for you here on the beeb:up:

I only need 1500 feet to land and GPS coordinates to aim for, what's the driveway at the ranch like:D

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Covered in pig is even better

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You are now my new BFF.:bow:

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Filet + rare = me + happy

15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

its been landed on before. :D

there is an aeronautical community not too far from me. one of the residents had something malfunction and made an emergency landing on my driveway.

"zee germans are comming"

Make a stop by mexico first. my cattle need "grass" :D

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Once you've picked up the wag and have departed the ranch on climb out can you make a quick detour and airdrop a few pieces of that wag near the mid-atlantic region?

Just shoot for the drop anywhere near M&T Bank Stadium ;)

17. grantcarruthers

You obviously have not seen my plane. The only grass from Mexico that will FIT in my plane isn't fit for cattle. Now if that's what you meant I'll need GPS coordinates for that too:clap::crackup:

18. grantcarruthers

Sadly FEDEX would be cheaper than me going that far out of the way from Austin to St Louis. I'm looking at $50 in avgas to cover 180 statute miles/hr

19. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

The fattier the cut the more cooking the meat can take before it becomes shoe leather, (meat needs to be cooked until the fat turns translucent, nothing worse than a hunk of raw, uncooked fat in a steak) leaner meats, esp game need to be cooked less (less fat to keep the meat tender and moist). You will find restaurants that cook game generally cook it a degree less than what you asked (Ordered mid rare elk loin once, thing was damn near raw)

Exceptions to the fat content are things like waygu/kobe etc, cooking most any cut of meat from those cows is like cooking good tuna, you could just sear the outside and be happy.

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Need a co-pilot?;)