1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up crf100 for supermoto?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by vdub 2.0, Dec 10, 2012.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

looking to get up my 05 crf100 to do some mini racing, i have a line on a xr80 front wheel, but dont know if its too old, what years will fit this bike, i also see alot of people run BT45's what size should i look at? any other basic mods I should look at? thanks:Pop:

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ditch the airbox and put a pod filter. Reject and ride.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

on the wheel i believe 86 and up bolt right on.
    the bt45s are the way to go and it seems split on what size people run,some run 110/90 front and rear. some run 100/90 front 110/90 rear
    also i dont know where you race but most places you can't run in the stock class if you remove the air box.
    welcome to the fun! :clap:

4. vdub 2.0

this is exactly what i was looking for! thanks
    I have a line on a 1990 xr80 wheel for 35$
    are there any other tips/recommendations you guys have

5. vdub 2.0

also where is the best place to buy those tires at the best price! thanks

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

BT45's will run close to $200 a set.

I have run BT45's on the street, and at my first 5 trackdays years ago, and they're good tires for what they are.

If you want a cheaper alternative, many people within the mini crowd have been recommending that I look into 16" "performance" scooter tires.

They are much cheaper, and the options open up considerably.

Based primarily on cost considerations, I wound up buying Pirelli ML75 scooter tires (2.5 front, 2.75 rear). Pirelli also makes a "diablo" scooter tire that is a bit more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than the BT45's.

the SET of ML75's cost me $60 shipped, so even if they last 1/3 as long as the BT45's, I'm still coming out ahead. All indications by people who ran the ML75's last season is that they lasted all year, running 2 classes for 9 race weekends.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Heres a tip... so you pay ~$200/set for the BTs... but you will NEVER complain about how much traction you have and they last forever.(had mine over a year now) Or you can cheap out and buy cheng shits for $80/pair... then have to scour the pits for a lever, handlebar, or sundry item after you crash because the tires didnt let you know whats happening.

Also B-stone will pay some contingency $$$$ if your org meets their minimum grids.

Thats on teh 16" sizes anyway. On 12 & 14s you have ALOT more options. And the diablos can be had for well under $100/set in the 14" variety.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What conclusive evidence do you have that the scooter tires offer less grip than the BT45's?

I have been told that the scooter tires yield the same or better lap times. I would bet they're lighter too, so less unsprung weight and rotating mass.

9. TurboBlew

on the minis?? in 16"??

10. vdub 2.0

thanks for all the tips, i have been on supermotojunkie and it seems that all the guys have different recommendations i will be running a 16'rim front and rear i will have to think about the tires I'm going to run because this is going to be for fun/ practice I'm in the north east right out side of nyc, OVRP is the closest track i still have to find out the details about races

11. noles19

thats a great deal on the wheel.i paid 80$ shipped for mine..
    only tips i have are to treat it like a big bike as far as body position and effort and you'll get alot out of it.
    wear your normal race gear or equivalent because minis have close racing and if you crash you'll probably get hit,so wear your back protector too.

12. noles19

i have both the ml75s and the diablos the problem with them isn't the grip,but the lean angle the ml75s are really skinny they slide well which works for flat track style but not very well for kneedown. the diablos are a alot better tire but the 110/70 is a poor profile it flattens out which makes it easy to fall off the side wall which is what happened at my last trackday. if i was going to buy the daiblos again id buy 100/80s front and rear. but im switching to bt45s

also here is a link to a new to xr100 thread from a track in ohiohttp://miniroadracers.informe.com/forum/general-topics-f1/first-time-racer-at-circleville-xr100-setup-t2421.html
    scroll to post 7

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My ML75's arrived just now. For $60, I'm okay with risking the money on them not being great.

my biggest issue will be basis for comparison, i.e. NONE on an XR100... I've coming from Power Ones on my 600RR, and then a couple of years of Q2's before that. The last time I ran a BT45 was in 2008 on my EX500...

The ML75's are definitely narrow, but the profile looks good. I'll have to compare them side-by-side on the same rim at the first race round to see how much more lean angle they really offer.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Yep. it's labeled as a moped tire, but it's H rated (130mph), so it's not going to fall apart at 45mph.

2.5" front and 2.75" rear.

15. noles19

i can take pictures of each of them if you want?

16. vdub 2.0

about to pull the trigger on the tires as i just got my 80 front wheel and extra 100 rear, now my fianl question to you fellas is do i want Bridgestone BT/45 100/90/16 fr/rr or 110/90/16 fr/rr ? and does it matter the tube i use thanks!

17. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

I agree BT45's are the way to go. I have used them extensively as well as 3-4 other options, including the Diablo scooter tire. HOWEVER, they do NOT last forever... I dont know what pace you ride at, but the group of guys I race with are all WERA Experts, and both myself and my roomate seem to get about 6-8 full days out of a rear and 10-14 out of a front. Put another way, I'm about to be on my 3rd set this year... I feel that they are worth the money thou as they have very good grip even when completely bald. Also, maybe XR's are better on tires, all of my experience is on TTR's

18. TurboBlew

If youre about to be on your 3rd set of 16" BTs in a calender year...

-You have the utmost respect from me :bow:
    -you live way to close to MGKT :D
    -eff u :up:

19. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA. As much as I love it at MGKT, I have only been there 2-3 times, its almost 3 hrs away. However, we do set up our own track in abandoned parking lots almost every weekend (and once a week after work in the summer), and they are 3rd-5th gear tracks, hard on tires I guess. We also prob put in 75-100 laps a day hahaha. So I guess I am confirming that BT45's do last a good while, just not forever :up:

I just realized how much time we put on our bikes. And amazingly they have been quite tough, and on average each bike gets crashed once a day haha. Things get bent and bent back sometimes. Valves were adj a few times on each of them and the front brakes were all replaced. One crank seized, blew out one rear wheel and burned up one clutch. Besides that they soldier on week in and week out.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

One question, do you plan on jumping the XR? If so get a frame brace.