1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Place your bets: the end of WERA?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by El Skwid!, Nov 7, 2012.

1. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

As a result of last night's election, how long can WERA survive as a profitable business? Through no fault of their own, grids are dwindling, look at what has happened to Endurance.
    I wager due to a combination of rising gas prices (soon to be $5/gal for 87 unl everywhere, diesel stubbornly remains @$4/gal, $10-50/gal for 'race' fuel), & ever increasing unemployment, 2013 will be the last "full" season.
    Add on increasing EPA regulation & insurance requirements, there will no longer be enough entries to make it a viable business model.
    A region may only be 4 races, even in the mighty SE, in 2014.
    After that, I can't see it in the Sportsmans format. National Challenge may survive.
    Discuss.

I realize this won't earn me any friendship points, but I don't think I'll be able to afford more than 1 or 2 races next year, & I have a trailer full of 'race only' bikes.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

WERA could just go public. IPO's generate huge cash. "You too can own a part of the best club racing series in America!"

Sean and Evelyn already have to listen to all of is bitch about how we'd run the show here. They may as well take the cash and and move the bitching to shareholder meetings :-D

3. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

So the results of the election last night spell the end of WERA as we know it?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to run out & buy as much WERA memorabilia as you can. Hoard as many T-shirts, free pens & of course sign up sheets as you can so you can throw them up on Ebay & make a fortune.

There are some people out there that will do what ever it takes to keep amateur roadracing alive in the U.S. no matter what those decrepit Democrats & that slime ball Mongo try to do to destroy it.

Nudge, nudge...

:beer:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Racers race. End of argument.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mongo did it!

6. joec

joec brace yourself

wera should become a church. father mongo has a strangely interesting sound to it.

7. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Mongo voted for Obama effectively putting an end to club racing :crackup:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That bastard did it for one reason, to oppress me! He promised I could head up his secret police when he took over and then he runs out and votes Obama just to screw me! George is getting upset!

9. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

I thought Mongo said that the grids were better this year than last.?..

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought he did too....

The Endurance Series isn't doing well, that is true. However, the GNF numbers were up the highest we've seen since 2006 as far as rider turnout and entries. Last weekend at Las Vegas was up more than 30% over the same race in 2011. We've been up slightly pretty much across the board all season unless mother nature hurt an event (or the ill fated gamble to run Blackhawk Farms).

11. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Its all propaganda by the racing reaper to make you think we dont need you on the grid so he can continue his abolishment of road racing

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Man, you're a just a hyperbole bummer...

The end is near I say!!!

13. earacing

earacing Race Dad

My money's on WERA.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'd be more concerned about the day someone at the EPA decides to focus on race tracks.

15. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I wont race in Illinois. I don't even want to drive through it.

16. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Uh oh. That doesn't sound like we're going back.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not without a major price drop on the rental, we lost 13k there and can't afford to gamble like that again. Had a blast and loved being there again but can't afford to pay per day what we do at Grattan for an entire weekend. Overall we'd love to try again but that'll be up to the track.

18. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

Mongo, i recall you and Evelyn saying that Buttonwillow was a pretty big loss as well.. they recently did a little repaving. Do you anticipate going back this season?
    -Tim

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not in 2012, going to wait for full reports from people riding it and see how things go. Main issue really was the date added in with everyone bitching about the track it just kept people away even if things weren't all that bad.

20. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

cool.. was 2012 a typo or a good sarcastic ploy?