Jeebus crust! Ant West hits Metalhead levels of dumbassatude.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Speaking of which,where the hell has Metal been lately?

Eerily quiet.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Locked himself in his car. :D

He be stooooooooooopid. :D

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Maybe he had a stuffy nose?

6. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Hmmm...

"Although intended by Eli Lilly to be used as a nasal decongestant, methylhexaneamine has been marketed as a dietary supplement "

So was he stopped up, or trying to lose weight?

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Wikipedia also indicates that in NZ and AU it's a common ingredient in party pills and bodybuilding supplements.

Considering the near-ubiquity of pseudoephedrine for decongesting, and what I would imagine being common knowledge among pharmacists about MHA's other uses, he probably wasn't using it for a stuffy nose.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Stolen from here: http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseb...s-prospect-marcus-stroman-tested-positive-for

It’s never a good thing when methylhexaneamine is in the news. That’s because it’s banned by Major League Baseball and the World Anti-Doping Agency among other sports leagues.

The latest is MLB’s banishment of Jays prospect Marcus Stroman for 50 games for testing positive for methylhexaneamine, one of 56 stimulants on baseball’s joint drug prevention and treatment program.

“Despite taking precautions to avoid violating the Minor League testing program, I unknowingly ingested a banned stimulant that was in an over-the-counter supplement,” Stroman said.

But how can a big-time prospect inadvertently take a banned substance? It’s pretty easy, in this case, since methylhexaneamine can be found in popular training supplements sold at nutritional and drug stores.

While it’s chemically related to amphetamines, it’s only slightly more powerful than a cup of coffee, according to Greg Wells, a kinesiology professor at the University of Toronto who has educated Olympic athletes on doping rules.

“It’s a short-acting stimulant, but it’s not something that we need to hang this guy up for anything like that,” Wells said. “It’s not a big deal.”

But it is part of the banned list, which means Stroman would have received the same suspension had he tested positive for steroids.

Methylhexaneamine is a nasal decongestant, but it’s also considered a stimulant. It is considered as a vasoconstrictor, increasing heart rate and blood pressure and sending more blood to the areas of the body that need it.

But more recently, the compound has become a popular dietary supplement and is found in strength-conditioning and powder drinks, which help with training.

The other problem with methylhexaneamine is that it isn’t always identified on the product.

“In many cases,” Wells said, “the supplements sold over the counter contained banned substances that aren’t on the label.”

The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, the Canadian equivalent of WADA, issued a warning to athletes in March, cautioning about such problems with methylhexaneamine.

“Some manufacturers are up front about the fact that their products contain banned substances and list them on the label. Other manufacturers produce supplements that contain banned substances that are NOT listed on the label, either deliberately or due to contamination,” a statement from the centre said.

Yet agencies make it very easy to figure out which products are safe for athletes, such as NSF International’s Certified for Sport program that will stamp a product as safe for elite athletes.

If that stamp isn’t on the bottle of pills, it isn’t safe for a
    thletes.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The more I read about the stuff the more I think Ant is just plain unlucky.

10. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Running the number 13 and riding a Kwakker in MotoGP probably foretold what his life was going to turn out like.......:rolleyes:

11. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I guess I take issue with riders getting DQ'ed for minor shit like this when other riders get shot up with lidocane and pain killers so they CAN ride.

Seems a little off balance to me.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

+onebeellion

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

But the anti doping people have built themselves a nice little kingdom, haven't they.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Methylhexanamine, AKA 1,3-dimethylamylamine or DMAA is the main ingredient in Jack3d and C4. Both are pre-workout supplements. Someone made a post a while back asking about it. I've used Jack3D for quite a while now on and off. I don't react as harshly to stimulants as most I'd say. But honestly DMAA is not something that I would even want to take before a race.

15. ton

ton Arf!

ah yes, the old "tainted supplement" defense. haven't seen that one for a decade or so in cycling, 'cuz no one believes it anymore.

yeah, ok, i'm exaggerating. but seriously, that one holds no water. never did in cycling, and doesn't in any sport. your responsibility is to know what you're ingesting and know what's on the banned substances list. period.

(and yes, it's completely absurd that they'll go out and ride on doctor provided "painkillers" and this is illegal)

16. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

I've used JAck3d for much of this year as a pre-workout drink. I've always used it on the 2nd day of a 2-day track event. Helps with any muscle soreness/fatigue and concentration.

17. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

What I can't figure out is why did it take five months to bring this to light?? Failed the test from May - then, sanction him in November...what gives? (unless all parties were aware but waiting on the FIM penalties ...???)

18. mperussault

mperussault Well-Known Member

He must have had a flu or something as Methylhexaneamine was originally intended to be used as a nasal decongestant :)

That's probably what he told them, except that he had to drink 500 bottles of the stuff to test positive... :)

19. caferace

caferace No.

Maybe the USADA got involved. :D

-jim

20. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Bronkaid and clenbuterol were both intended for respiratory issues, little did they know that they would turn into some of the most commonly used and effective thermogenic stimulants :up:.