1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash Proven Gloves

Discussion in 'General' started by rraiderr, Sep 25, 2012.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

+1.... I did have the left pinky seperate from the ring finger after a mishap but al in all very durable...

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Bought some Teknic gloves trackside some years ago (Violator IIRC, they were ~100 bucks) because I was in a bind. Ended up using them for several years and a few crashes, they held up well and protected fine.

3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Yes! Definitely not cheap, but excellent gloves.

Edit: I didn't know A* offered glove repair. I've had two pairs fall apart at the seams, and although they protected my hands just fine before the seams came undone, I was bummed out that they kept falling apart on me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep, had both mine and my wifes repaired over the years, even fixed crash damage for me. They also resole the boots and do repairs on those as well.

5. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

It's a crap shoot. I've crashed a couple of times at speed in my A-Stars GP's and they were (and still are) Awesome.

Buddy low sided at maybe 50mph, his Kushitani's opened right up and rashed his hand.

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, they just refreshed the design on the GP pro's. Looks bad ass!

[​IMG]

7. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of Held Phantoms a few years back and within a few months of riding had some issues that I asked Held to address. They weren't interested in helping out. A few months later I ran into the USA distributors at the Indy Moto GP races and I spoke directly with them. Again they had no interest in standing behind their product.

That was my last pair of Helds. I now wear Kushitani's and am very happy with them. I had an issue with my gpr5's a couple of years ago and they promptly and politely addressed it. Kinda baffles me that companies won't stand behind their high-end products. Especially in the small racing community where everyone talks and reputation is everything.

8. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Thanks for all the HELD info guys, I guess I am not the only one having issues with their gloves.

This is my 3rd pair of HELD's and my first time dealing with their customer service.

I just spoke with HELD and even though the Phantoms were new this season and look new they will not honor the warranty as I do not have the receipt. This is because they were a gift. I emailed the person that bought them for me to see if they have the receipt.

I am still sending them back to see if they will change their minds when they see the gloves are new and in perfect shape. The guy I spoke with said he may be able to sew them but if not I am SOL as no receipt means no honor the warranty.

On the flip side I had a knuckle guard screen slip down on my old A Stars and they had me send them back no questions asked and no receipt needed. I received a brand new pair in the mail a week later. That is awesome customer service.

Needless to say I will not do business with HELD again.

Going to take a second look at the Handroid and RS Taichi

9. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

There were some free Held t-shirts at Summit this weekend, ah yeah I didn't grab one. No way I'm gonna walk around advertising their inferior product and poor customer service.

Probably should have grabbed a couple to clean my chain with though.

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

wtf?? are all these companies sending their shit over to Pakistan or something to be stitched up?? The material quality seems to be damn good on the high end stuff, but someone is dropping the bomb on QC.

Hell, ive been using the A* GP Pro's for 5 years now, first set just wore out after 3 years so i replaced them a year and a half ago, still no issues with them. I'd always wanted to buy a set of Held's, but just couldnt bring myself to spend that kind of money for a glove that ive heard this many issues about, especially with their customer service.

11. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

12. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Todd, I've worn Held gloves since 2007. I unfortunately have plenty of crash data to back them up. I've gone through probably a set a year, although I haven't bought a set this year. I usually wait until some color that no one wants is on closeout. While it's understandable that not everyone will be completely satisfied with a product, my experience has been almost completely positive. If you are more picky about colors and current styles, they offer racer pricing and even offered contingency for a while.

13. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I haven't heard Dainese mentioned here, I recently got a suit from them so I was considering their gloves as well. Any input?

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Well, all the Held info in this thread definitely has me rethinking my next purchase. I was planning on the Held Slade suit for my next leathers, now I am not so sure.

15. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Another vote for A* GP-Pro's... crash tested and approved. Crashed some of their other gloves and would not try again, but the GP-Pro's are good to go.

16. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of their top end gloves (at the time) several years ago... IMO, there are many other brands that offer better protection while at a far lower price point.

17. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I have used HELD gloves over the years as well with no issues but something has changed.

From the looks of this thread something must have changed at the HELD factory or the outsourcer doing the work if that is the case.

I am just glad I caught the seams ripping before I crashed in them.

Past experience with a company is great but the true test of a company is how they back their product when an issue occurs after the sale.

I had a Forcfield back protector start to separate and with in hours of my email they called me and had a new one on the way, same with A Stars.

There are still lot's of great vendors out there who still care after the sale and do whatever it takes to make it right but unfortunately they are becoming outnumber by the ones that do not give a rats asss once the sale is made and the money is in their pocket.

18. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I have been using their boots for years with 0 issues. I am on my 4th pair and they can sure take the abuse. I was even able to sell my old ones as they held up so well.

Maybe I will try out their gloves.

19. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

His question was about Dainese gloves... you're talking about Dainese boots...

I'd say that's an apples to oranges comparison, but perhaps gloves to boots is more appropriate in this case...
    :p

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Komodo makes excellent gloves. Unfortunately I have tested them over and over again. I actually have a brand new pair of Handroids that I bought before the season started. But I still wear my 6 times crashed, perfectly fine, Komodos. I am not sponsered by them, they cost me a pretty penny. But have never let me down.

They are defintely one I would consider. Their boots are absolute crap though. But their leathers and gloves are top knotch. I've never owned Helds. But have owned Tenkic top of the line and Also Alpinestars GP-Pros.

I'll probably sell my Handroids and get another pair of Komodos.