1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance Points by Class?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by t11ravis, Aug 30, 2012.

1. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Is WERA still losing money on Endurance this year? A quick look at the math suggest it should be breaking even or turning a small profit. Granted you could probably make more running sprints, but then you are just like every other organization. With no Endurance option you will lose more of your customer base to these other orgs.

With no free or discounted entries this year here is the breakdown.

TGPR 15 teams X $400= $ 6000
    Road A 22 teams X $600= $13,200
    Miller 25 teams x $600= $15,000

2. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Since starting up my own team and not really knowing too much about all this stuff being written up here (which will probably change someday)... I just want to ride and compete. And am very thankful to be doing so :beer:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, Talladega is a profit or break even I think but I know Road A and Miller are short a good $5k to $7,500 from paying for the day.

Granted - those are expensive tracks but they're also ones that draw teams. The upside too is the increased sprint income at the events where we didn't run the Endurance this year will pay for those losses whereas last year we'd lose money at those events too.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And no matter what those bitching say - we do truly appreciate you running with us. Not sure why but the Endurance races are still my absolute favorite type of racing we do.

5. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

As I continue to screw up things on the track, being the hit-and-miss rider I am, I'll try not to disappoint :D

6. ethridge72

So it cost WERA $20K a DAY to run at Road A or Miller?:eek:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically yeah. We can shave some off of that but not a lot.

8. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

Billy just to give you an idea - Miller is $15,000. a day to rent - Road Atlanta is $9,750.00 - then you need to add insurance for the day, medical staffing, security, trophies, corner workers and officials.....so it can add up pretty quick - people don't realize just how expensive it is for WERA to put on a race weekend at the bigger venues.

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Try Sears point :)

10. ethridge72

Wow. I figured it would be around that number after expenses.

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow x2.
    The transparency is appreciated. Not too many businesses are willing to put that out there... :up:

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

How bad does attendance drop off at the smaller tracks where it's cheaper? Roebling, Tally, heck you might even get the endurance people to go to CMP.

If 15 teams break even/make money at Tally then maybe just using the smaller tracks is the answer. I know a bunch of people love the big venues but I don't think anyone expects you to go broke.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Participation drops a lot and overall you lose teams willing to run the entire thing if it's all small places.

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Next year you should pick up 4 tracks we did not do this year :)

15. ethridge72

I don't know about this. I believe all of the full season teams would be in favor of racing at the smaller tracks if it meant we got to race more races. You might lose a few of the one off teams, but I don't even know about that considering the "new" has worn off of the big tracks that are on the schedule.

or

How about doing combined races with other orgs at the more expensive tracks. A WERA/CMRA shootout at NOLA this year would have been huge. With every one on a level playing field, the racing would have been great.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We tried working with CMRA but it didn't pan out, we'll be trying again.

17. couch

couch Well-Known Member

Why didn't it work out? They seemed very motivated to make something happen at the beginning of the season.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne talked to them and if I remember right they just didn't want to take on any financial risk. Can't say as I blame them.

19. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

+ 10000000000

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Biggest issue with that is if we do run those tracks and the endurance pays for itself, that is cool, but if we run those tracks as a sprint day and we make a profit on that day, that is cooler. Overall though that is definitely the kind of stuff we'll look at when we're doing the schedule for next season. We do want to expand at least to 5 rounds and we're about 99% sure we won't go back to Miller with the Endurance. The series needs time to rebuild and that's almost always taken place with a pretty major east coast bias.