1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracking an android phone

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Sep 8, 2012.

1. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Fencer,

You're a douche. Go soak your head, it's swollen too large.

Your Pal,

kz

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have 3 ft screwdriver for you KZ

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Does it have GPS tracking? :Poke: :Poke:

4. caferace

caferace No.

Just as a note, there are lots of things on an Android that will cause it to not function tracking-wise. Some examples:

1) Turning off the GPS, which I often do as it sucks batteries hard.
    2) Putting the phone on Airplane Mode, which turns off GPS and all network functions.
    3) Being inside a steel or masonry building.
    4) Being in a purse, inside a car (putter told me this).
    5) Not having direct access (meaning line of sight) to a GPS satellite.
    6) Low battery.
    7) Uninstalling "Where's my Droid?"

-jim

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'm a lot younger than most of you wankers and no kids. But my sister is almost 16 and she is a lot like me. I'd either find a way to cheat it, or just turn the phone off. Sorry dad battery died...you know keeping the gps on kills the battery ;)

Maybe you should have her check into 4 square.

I know att has the family locator.

But my parents trust me...

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can disable the GPS all you want on the good ones. They can send a message to the phone to turn it back on. The good ones also can't be uninstalled without the account password.

You youngins aren't as clever as you think you are. I use it on both my phone and the wifes. If something happens either of us are incapable of placing an emergency call ourselves being able to turn GPS on remotely and track the phone is a nice feature. Could help locate us in case of an unfortunate accident.

I went as far as to give my mother and her mother the passwords to the online account in case we both go missing.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The social lives of my children would be severely impacted if they tried that.

The funny thing is I remember being in agreement with some of the more permissive people here before I had kids. Now, not so much. The ability to call home if you are going to be late is one of those basic rules that need to be followed. Had the young lady in question just called when she found out that she had to work late she would not be getting a tracker program on her phone.

8. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Now that's a funny one right there. :crackup:

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This thread is a prime example of why NOT to post details about your parenting methods, and why NOT to opine on the parenting methods of others. :D

I'm just glad as hell I didn't have to try as hard as the OP when mine was 16. It's scary as hell knowing they can totally f*ck up their entire lives in an instant, but not being sure if they realize that.

Thankfully mine realized it.

10. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Good to know....

:D

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In this day and time, it isn't just trust in your kid that is an issue. There are a lot of predators that have less than scrupulous interest in a 16 year old girl. I trust my daughter. It's the rest of you maroons that are on the suspect list.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell yes it does. She's 16 not 18 and she lives at home.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly.

That and seriously, children have no rights. I'd never give a kid a phone a NOT track the thing whenever I got bored. I'd also go through their room, spy on them like a mofo and so on. There is no freedom. If they're going to grow up and make good choices then they're going to have to be sneakier than me :D

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

this...the fun begins in ~3 weeks.

15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

THIS^^
    That is why I went with where is my droid.

Some else that gets it!!!:beer:

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

All of them that are worth a damn do.

It is pre-loaded with Where is My Screwdriver version 2.2:D

17. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension AND parental understanding.
    Someone has it:bow:
    :beer:

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ya know, that makes it much harder to properly dispose of a murder weapon...

:D

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Not at all.

It comes complete with a WIPE function:rock:

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Eh, I still kill the old fashioned, analog way. I don't need Google indexing my hit list. :D