1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate semi's

Discussion in 'General' started by Sideshow, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I ride to work early every moring. This morning I was riding to work and a semi blew out 2 tires. The car infront of me hit both and shot them right at me. One went over my head and the other was a direct hit. I went airborne and the bike landed front tire first. Instant head shake and now I'm fighting to keep the bike up. I lay down on the tank and the bike is soo violent both legs are flying in the air.

I then cross 3 lanes of traffic and headed for the median . I smack it with my body. Somehow my ankle was between the wall and peg. Peg punctured the ankle. Not deep , but enough that I can't really stand on it now.

The bike cuts back right across the highway. Now the headshake is gone and I'm trying to control the bike. Oh shit . No front brakes at all. I was able to coast it on the emergency lane and use the rear break.

The semi pulled over and 3 other cars were damaged. What a shitty day. I will most likely make a hospital visit tomorrow .

The driver wasn't ticketed . FHP gave us an incident report and we filled it out. His insurance has called me , but I don't trust them. I'll give them a week until I contact a lawyer.

Lower left plastic ripped and melted. Lower right, mid upper ripped and cracked. As for the brakes. I am thinking bent rotors atm.

The tire tread that came off the truck was the full tread still together in a perfect circle.

Ugh I hate semi's . I'll post pics later. Just got home from work.

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Wow. I had a semi blow a tire in front of me on the highway last weekend. I avoided it on the shoulder but I'm not sure what happened after that. I had my daughter and both nephews in the truck with me. Scary stuff.

3. Retreads should be banned.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Be thankful you're not sitting at the hospital with a case of the deads. :eek:

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

:stupid:

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Do not delay...get medical attention...especially if you plan on pursuing it with a lawyer.

7. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Riding a motorcycle on the street/highway is stupid. Sometimes I don't even wear a helmet. :eek:

8. Sideshow

loaded the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sideshow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next thing is the truck driver was claiming they don't use retreads. If show then how in the hell does the whole tread come off in 1 piece ?

10. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Why would he be?

11. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Oooooooh..... Semis, as in those big trucks.

12. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Did you pump the front brakes? They might not be bent. Sometimes a tankslapper can push the pistons back into the calipers quite a bit. That's why you see some (heads up) racers pump their brakes a little after a big tank slapper.

13. Sideshow

Yes I pumped them and they don't come back while riding. I can pump them to work. I moved the bike 5' and they are completely gone again.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sideshow, I'm glad you're here to talk about it. Way to bring it home.:)

:up:

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Glad you're okay. Was there a little spot on your seat that was wrinkled where your butthole grabbed on? :D

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If I see a semi close ahead I punch it past them. Damn the tickets. Glad you survived to ride again.

17. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Sounds bent then

18. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

First and foremost glad you saved that one.

Talk about weird timing as I pulled next to a semi at a light this morning I noticed some very questionable tires on the truck and not the trailer, big (4") chunks missing in several spots I wondered how retreads were legal at all.

Be safe and watch out for the other guy.

19. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Looking at your pictures that was most certainly a retread that went boom. I change them quite often. Don't hate on the trucks so much, believe me the drivers want originals on the truck and trailer just as much as we do. Problem is brand new tires aren't cheap and last time I outfitted a truck and trailer with recaps on the drives and trailer and original steer tires the bill was about $4500. For all original you double that. However from what I can see in your pictures that was a tanker that hauls tar which by law is only supposed to have original rubber on it. However you are very fortunate you're ok, usually an attack from a tire snake on a motorcycle doesn't end well. Also as has already been mentioned get to a hospital ASAP to get checked out and glad your ok!

20. Sideshow

Fiancee came home and now I'm sorting in the e.r.