1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was pondering this question today....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by buxton, Aug 23, 2012.

1. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

I am seeing more and more of non-traditional couples with the same last name. Sometimes the older one will take the younger one's name, other times its the opposite. In a traditional man - woman relationship normally the wife will take the husbands name.

So.... for the non-traditional couples, how do they decide on which name to take? :confused:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote the one easier to spell or the one less likely to get the kids beat up in school :D

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That's sound logic.

Something not often found in here.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Does any of this make sense anymore? Women don't take their husband's last name. Women hyphenate and forever give the first impression they are a bitch. Kid's end up with hyphenated names even when the indentity of the father is not in doubt! Now the gays jump in and there really aren't any rules left to follow.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Each couple is free to do what they want. It's their decision.

Why does anyone else care?

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Joe, there are some days that I think you and I might be related. :crackup:

True story - I worked with a guy who was getting married, and was all paranoid that his wife-to-be wouldn't take his last name (wasn't bad, but wasn't common either - two syllables)... We settled on that idea that, not only would she not take his last name, but he would be forced to take hers... To make matters worse, he also went by his middle name, because he hated his first name (Charles), and all variants... His fiance's last name was Tucker, so we started calling him Chuck Tucker...

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why should there be rules?

What difference does it make what name someone wants to be known by?

Right Mongo? :D

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Hey Brain, where is Pinky?

9. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

:crackup:

Not that I care, but I was curious since I see it often in my day to day work.

Dawn ;)

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Who ever is the power driver? :confused: :wow:

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If that were true, a lot more men would be using their wives' last name.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

13. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I find the tradition of taking on another persons name to be archaic. I think you should get your daddy's last name and stick with it for good.

Changing names causes confusion. With all the divorces I handle, I get bamboozeled everyday by women changing their names after getting married, getting divorced, going back to their maiden names, getting remarried and hyphenating their new name etc. Then you've got changing DLs, Social Security cards etc. Screw it.

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am partial to the two last names. This way, you also know who the mommy is. :)

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Guys that take their wife's last name have no balls and the wife will never respect them. Usually these are the same guys I see sitting in the passenger seat while the wife drives the car down the highway :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  16. pickled egg

Sounds good to me.

Use your last name, drive my drunk ass around, and beat me with a leather strop once or twice a week. :up:

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Are you a graduate of the speedyE seminar?

18. pickled egg

Egads, no!

Do I seem maladjusted?

Don't answer that. :D

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Ok. :D

20. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Darn spanishes. :D