1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any jet skiers? Who wants to go to the Bahamas?

Discussion in 'General' started by 675AV8R, Aug 2, 2012.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

I know I wouldn't do it unarmed.

2. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'll go with you. These guys are a bunch of pu$$ies. I just got back from a trip to the Abacos in my boat. Had a blast, and West End or Bimins are both well within reach on a nice 4 stroke ski. I've got one... so count me in.

I've seen the videos you're referring to... hit up Thehulltruth.com and you'll get a few others to come as well.

3. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Hell yes. I'll post up hotel info in West Palm when I get it. Need to call a few places and find out about the airline discount.

4. dickie doo

Said pics of the trip....

Cruising over the Bahama Bank at 30ish knots in less than 15 feet of water for a good 4 hours.
    cruse.jpg

Your fuel bill will be less than mine. This was one fill up.
    fuel.jpg

Sunset in West End before we headed back that following morning.
    west end.jpg

We stayed at the Old Bahama Bay and it was pretty nice.

5. 675AV8R

6. 675AV8R

F that fuel bill :crackup:

Love the sunset photo.

7. 675AV8R

Ok, since you've been there, any recommendations for hotels in Freeport? Old Bahama Bay might be a bit out of our price range :eek:

Where did you put in at?

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Damn that looks like fun.

So since it is a bunch of racers have you gotten any sponsors lined up to offer contegency money?

:D

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Piracy is no joke over there.

It's also illegal to bring handguns into the Bahamas. I was always pretty well armed on my boat, but everything stayed on the boat and the boat wasn't searched so long as the Bahamian at the customs dock was "tipped" (their term, not mine.) I don't know how you would conceal a weapon in a pwc. Just remember, a boat of Haitian sea-desperados will take your money, your pwc and leave you bobbing in the gulfstream.

Be careful.

10. dickie doo

Jesus man. You've been watching too many Johnny D movies.

Piracy is rare, guns are absolutely allowed, and so are munitions. We just declared an ar-15, A 12 gauge and a 10MM with Bahamian customs. Not an issue at all.

Haitians are not off an issue 40 miles off Miami. :rolleyes:

11. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

As a kid (about ten years old) in the early 90s my dad, brother and I took our Kawasaki jet ski 300, x-2, and TS from my grandmother's beach house in ocean springs across the Mississippi sound to horn island. Since the jet ski 300 was my little baby I rode it. 8 miles in 2-3 foot seas beat the hell out of me but I made it. I ended up riding home on the back of the TS with my dad and we towed the 300 back. I don't know how my bro managed the x-2 because that thing was a nightmare to ride in calm water.

About 6 or 7 years after that I had a sea-doo gsx and rode that thing to the island regularly in seas up to about 3.5 to 4 feet. I wouldn't take a PWC in anything much bigger than that. Sit down skis have come a long way since I rode, they are huge and super stable now. I still have nightmares of riding that dang stand up. I couldn't even stand it was so rough, I kneeled or sat. My worry would be making sure you have plenty of fuel, food and plenty of water, also sunscreen, you'll get baked. I would also suggest someone knows when you are supposed to arrive. If you don't check in with them by a certain time they can alert the cast guard. I would hate to be floating in the ocean with no fuel and no one knows I'm not on schedule.

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Yep. No Haitians around Miami. :crackup:
    Before you summarily dismiss me with the eye roll smiley from where you sit in Atlanta, you may want to get a clue about what actually goes on in South Florida. I'm assuming your idea of piracy is peg legged guys with eye patches and jolly rogers? Google Zoe Pound or Haitian organized crime and report back.

Oh, and ten years ago when I was making the crossing all the time, handguns were absolutely prohibited in the Bahamas. Maybe that's changed. Why the heavy firepower if you weren't concerned?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. dickie doo

Yeah, their are Haitian gangs in south Florida, but they aren't running a freaking piracy ring off shore. They are stealing boats in marinas and on trailers. Trust me.... i was more nervous about leaving my boat in West Palm for the night than I was about leaving it in the Bahamas for a week.

I took guns because I'm no fool.. I said it's rare, not non-existent. :)

14. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

:stupid:

I've been to the Bahamas 3 times for 2-3 months at a time, never encountered anything remotely concerning piracy/bad-guy wise. The only place I was a bit concerned was in Nassau. And guns, hand or not are fine in the Bahamas, just declare them at Customs. The thing they are picky about is ammo, you usually have to declare the # of rounds you have, and if boarded, will have to account for any discrepancy. I've really enjoyed my time there and look forward to going back this year or next!:clap:

Oh yeah, and it's only like 45nm from Miami to Bimini. :cool:

15. 675AV8R

Sweet! Too bad we're not going there. :crackup: I couldn't find a good distance between the two, just had to use Google Maps and get close. Best estimate from West Palm to West End was 70 miles, but I'm guessing it's closer to 60nm.

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Huh? No joke? Been sailing around the Bahamas for over 20 years and never had a problem or heard of one for that matter. I've never had problems bringing in firearms either. Always reported what we had on the boat and the number of rounds (AK's, pistols and hundreds of rounds). Customs guys never gave a shit....and I never needed them. Rather have em and not need em than need em and not have em though....

17. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I would be very tempted to go on this trip, I even have my own PWC so I wouldn't have to rent. Unfortunately I will be at a wedding in Cali that weekend. I hope all goes well on the trip. I would wear a compression-type shirt and long pants for sun protection. Also wear some of those water-shoes.

I grew up on Catalina Island (about 20miles off CA) and we had PWC come aross the channel pretty regularly. I only remember having one come in under tow when his output shaft seal came loose. I suggest you bring at least 1 high-volume bilge pump for the group to share (maybe 500-1000 GPH. If someone gets a bad leak you can put the pump in their PCW so they can limp the rest of the way there. Towing a half-sunk PWC sucks and those things usually don't have a on-board bilge pump.

18. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I don't think any PWC has an onboard bilge pump to my knowledge

19. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

btw, has anyone ridden the new Sea Doo with the electronic braking system?

it works amazingly well

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

We put them in our Stand Ups ourselves..... Worked great...:up: I fyour renting these though your hosed.... No pun intended...