1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should pro racing be affordable? (as in AMA Pro)

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

So there was an interesting discussion last weekend at VMD.

One point of view stated that the AMA needed to keep costs in line, to increase grid size and make it more more affordable for racers to move up. Reasons that have been stated countless times.

Another point of view was presented that although there was merit to the above agrument, it's called "Pro Racing" for a reason. The counter argument was that if racers want something that is 'cost affordable', there's club racing at the regional level. When you move up to the National (Challenge) and then AMA level, there is no obligation for the sanctioning body to keep cost in check. It's called 'pro' (pro-am and pro) for a reason, and not club racing.

So what says the BBS.

2. Not affordable = nobody racing.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Define affordable. :)

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is the gayest discussion ever. Why don't you debate the merits of unicorns versus sparkling vampires.

5. Silo Pete

I say Unicorns.

Because it was an interesting discussion. Maybe it doesn't translate to the forum.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Well first off...unicorns aren't real. Vampires on the other hand are most certainly real.

7. When I think pro I think talent level not cost to participate.

8. IMO, the "Pro" defines talent....not how much money you have and/or are willing to spend.

When grid size is being determined by available money instead of available talent, then something needs to change.

9. Damn you beat me by a few seconds. :D

10. Silo Pete

Pfffff. Tell that to a 4 year old. Unicorns are real as f**k and can whip some sparkley vampire ass.

11. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I don't know how you call something "Professional" when 1% of the grid makes money.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Funny I think someone making a living doing it and not paying or doing it for free.

Simply paying someone to do it makes it cost more than club racing. So define affordable.

And unicorns aren't real. Didn't you see that Tom Cruise movie?

13. backcountryme

Cost has to be kept within reason. High cost kills racing. Look at F1, MotoGP, and the old Prototype car road racing. They are all struggling to get grids big enough to make a race while Moto2, Moto3, AMA, and Nascar have expanding grids and great racing. Oh, and a unicorn could spear a sparkling vampire through it's sequined heart. But a sparkle demon cannot live off unicorn blood.

14. Silo Pete

Mi4?

15. Silo Pete

Unicorn blood has magic.

16. Riding "professional" for free or even paying to ride "professional" is wrong IMO. I know it goes on, but i dont agree with it nor think it is right. But that is a whole 'nothing subject that could/would go on for days...even though it has already been beaten to death.

But for things to change and for people to get paid more and/or more people to get paid...there has to be more money coming into the sport and more people on the grid. Which can't/won't happen if it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to be competitive.

Or there has to be more money coming in from outside sponsors. But to do that...then the product has to be more profitable to outside sponsors...which means the advertising/promotion has to get better and we need more viewers/fans.

But to get more viewers and fans...the racing has to be fun to watch. Which means we need more bikes on the grid. But that isnt going to happen when it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to be competitive.

Which means....

It is essentially a viscious circle and an argument of the chicken vs the egg.

17. Affordable= a quality team that has sponsers and paid wrenches and staff can afford to pay a rider, sleep in a hotel, and eat during the race weekend. I'm not saying every club hero should be there, but there are good teams with proper support and good riders who can't make it work. That's not sustainable. Series will implode.

18. backcountryme

Somebody always had to pay. If it is not the rider then it is the owner. What about Larry Pegram? His is the team owner and rider. In most racing Pro is a class, not a job. Pro could also mean there is a purse for the race, not just a trophy. That is more how I take it. Pro means there is money paid out to the racers based on finish placement, not that the riders are all paid a salary.

19. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

it used to be relatively affordable...

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Legend!