The Latest on TC in AMA SBK

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2SLOW, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

:stupid:When racers are getting pissed off at each other after the race & mixing the on & off track drama people are much more inclined to watch to see what happens next. That's the only reason I can think of that people like "reality" shows. We need less polite Hayden types and more Go Shows :D

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Type "motorcycle racing" into Google. Lots of hits. Was that terribly difficult? I would hope not. Now, what would be stopping anyone else from doing that?

I would think that just about everyone in the US knows, on some level, what a motorcycle is.

The concept of racing has been around forever.

Those two words (which are not obscure words) should they be something that you're interested in, gives you a lot of information when entered into Google.

So why is no one looking for it? Because Josh Hayes is too fast?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

People have to have a REASON to make that google search. If the racing is boring they won't have a reason. To put my previous post into real world terms, imagine that the rules get changed to encourage great racing. Then imagine that one of those kickass races is on tv at the local sports bar. Some fans are watching and making a scene, jumping up and down because five guys are battling down to the wire for first. A current non-fan sees this and wonders what's up. He catches the end of the race, talks to the other guys a little, then goes home and what does he do? He types "motorcycle racing" into google, sees when the next race is, tunes in, sees another exciting race, and is hooked.

4. metricdevilmoto

DSB racing has been like that for the past few seasons, has it not? The racing has been amazing. So why aren't more people tuning in?

I'm not debating for the sake of debating. I can see the validity in where you're coming from (this isn't the first time I've had this conversation with someone who has said the exact same things you are saying) but I'm not so sure it's an accurate version of how things really are.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Despite the popular misconception here,DSB and its prior incarnation SS has been "amazing" since its inception in the 80s

6. metricdevilmoto

Agreed. Speaking more in regards to recent racing (post DMG) and why having close racing simply isn't enough.

In fact, aside from SBK after they went to 1000s, most of the support classes have had tight, close racing at some point; SSTK, FX, SS.

So why aren't people watching?

Is it because Joe Sixpack knows the difference between a SBK and a SS bike and only wants to tune in if the "premier" class has tight racing? Or is it because he simply doesn't give a shit that motorcycles are racing, no matter how tight, no matter what spec?

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I think I'm the stupiest person on earth.

1. Windows is not the spec even if we have 90% market share. Trust me...there are things that aren't done to industrial specs and it gets on my nerves.

2. FI is MUCH MUCH simiple than carbs. The motor is spinning this fast and the throttle is open this much so we connect a relay for this amount of time. We know how much time went by because a little crystal on a board is humming along. Way easier than idle circuits, pilot jets and main jets and how all of them interfer with each other based on how much vacuum the bike is under. Then as the motor wears the vacuum level changes so our a/f mixture changes over time.

3. You are you the one asking for spec this and spec that.

4. Sticking people on the same tires with the same electronics favors one bike and one rider over another. Each rider is unique in their abilities and if they are unable to have matching unique tires and electronics there is favorism occurring. Look at Ducati. If they could get different tires in MotoGP perhaps they would be doing better with their unique chassis.

Perhaps the real issue is you don't want a discuss. You want an argument but you aren't intelligent enough to argue. Its ok...I'll give you this spec paper pinwheel you can blow on instead.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This is something I like....now the issue becomes enforcement of what's in the black box.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sorry I don't recall where I said they need to be "unobtainium monsters" I do like them trick.

Hell my SV650 is pretty superbiked out. Venom's RC35 (please tell me I got that right) is pretty superbiked out. Neither of these produce more than 100hp. And hey we each got electronics. (I have a GPX and he has an AIM system).

But we are just nerds. You want good racing? I do to. Why isn't the Harley class good enough for good racing? Why do we need even the DSB level of modifications?

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You get two sets of tires a race event. You choose how you use them.

You get to use the stock ecu's. You may not adjust anything within the box. Yup you can't adjust your fuel ratio's nor timing. If you want your fuel ratio's to change that's what the stock O2 sensor is for.

Then there is a list of what you may do your bike and everything else is illegal (I believe you came up with that statement).

11. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

No I didn't come up with that statement. And you're off in theory land again. You certainly have a lot of suggestions and seem pretty sure of how things should be for the people who are actually racing in AMA Pro! Maybe you should come out, grid up and show us. We might all learn something!

12. John29

The real difference here, is making stuff up from the comfort of your home or office, vs., for example, fielding a team year in and year out, when you couldn't get the tires you needed to be consistently competitive vs. getting the same tires as everybody else. Why shouldn't have Martin Cardenas gotten access to the same tires, so he could go from winning no races in three years to winning 23 or whatever it is in the next three years with more of 2012 left? Theory is one thing. Spending your money and putting guys on the grid for decades is another. My experience leads me to believe that the system in place now is more fair and better in every way. Obviously, something led the guys who run MotoGP and World Superbike and British Superbike to think the same way. If that doesn't work for you, then yeah, go run Ninja 250s or something, I'm sure your local org will accommodate you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  13. John29

And for the record, I am for each brand running the race kit box available for that brand. Which is not a spec box.

14. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Out of the box, as near-stock as logical, the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 is the best motorcycle to run a race team off of; I mean that in terms of running cost *and* competitive ability. The more limited the rules have become, the more single-make the SBK class has become.

By page 15, it appears that many people here are really looking for a GSX-R cup. Some degree of built GSX-R's with riders and tuners showcasing their talent and skill.

Which is great, petition Suzuki and the AMA to create a GSX-R cup class and it may not happen, but I bet you'll get some serious thought. Then SBK can be left to run what ya brung. The other competitors can play over there at who-can-build-the-most-outrageous-beast.

If what you want is a heavily restricted, rider-talent based SBK class, it's going to end up being dominated by Suzuki. If you have a KTM, BMW, Kawasaki, Ducati (remember them?), and you can't modify the piece you need to be competitive, you'll buy a GSX-R or go home.

Personally, I'm all up for an electronics ban, but as a matter of fair exchange, will everyone else support the return of modified crankshafts, pistons, rods and gears? Each make needs something else to be competitive, let's not pretend that the Yamaha needs the electronics and frame modifications to be where they are.

15. John29

Hey I was in a meeting at Road America in which one team owner stated that the problem is that the other teams just aren't that good. And that everybody should just buy a Superbike from him! (He doesn't own a team running Suzukis!)

16. John29

Actually this isn't true. The closest thing to what you describe is currently an EBR 1190RS.

17. John29

And Jason Farrell's ZX-10R looked pretty good at Road America. I think your theory is lacking a little Seth.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dead to me.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why do *I* have to grid up to show you something?

Now I can understanding having me come out and see the races and stuff...but being able to ride fast and having worthy suggestions are things that aren't related.

As to the quote that's what is in my club racing rule books (wera, omrra and wmrra) and I thought you wrote the original rule book that wera uses so I thought you were the one to add that phrase.

So I guess not. Anybody know who to thank for that? It is actually a stroke of genius.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

Agreed but how do you keep factories from out spec'ing* each other every year to the point the hardware gets ridiculous and you again need a small army to tun the system? The S1000RR stiff is pretty pricey compared to the EMPRO already.

* Not a real word.