1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutoff %

Discussion in 'General' started by Tdub, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice the lack of any thought process by some ( i said "some") of the lappers in the SS races?

2. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

I was at the track Friday and was amazed at the number of riders cruising around on the race line during practice and qualifying.

3. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I'm on the Speed TV timeframe for Barber...I'll check for what you described tomorrow when its on.

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I noticed one rider in particular in race one hang out both the lead two, and the second group as well.

But yea, I noticed quite a few. I noticed Jake has been effected quite a few times in the last several races (atlanta, and race one barber for two).

5. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

It wasn't just Jake affected, but several of the front runners. There were several that did a fine job, but then there was some real bone head moves as well. Oh well, on to the next one.

Don't know what cyclenut was refering to.

6. Saw that! Even the lappers looking to get out of the way were in the way. The pace was so hot with Jeke Lewis last laps that it was rough. Damn near had a major Fup coming out a 2 to 3 on final laps. Jake's mom and Earl Hayden were cussin up a storm

7. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Oh no doubt. I wsa just saying that he in particular I personally noticed since I am watching him more :D

yesterday it didnt cost him ultimately, but could have. Atlanta it did though unfortunately (and an ex sponsor to boot, i know he hated that)

8. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

I don't know what the right answer is, but to prevent anyone from getting lapped, they would have to cut off the bottom 1/2 of the field. I was lapped at 2 events last year in SS, and it is tougher than it looks. They start throwing the blue flags a full lap before the leaders catch you, so you have to start looking behind you immediately to see them coming, which slows you down more. You are supposed to move off of the racing line to let them by, but on a road race track, that is impossible in most cases because the right/left/right nature of the tracks, and that is further complicated if you are in a race of your own because they aren't going to penalize someone for not staying behind you when you get out of the way.

I personally feel like it is a mistake to ask someone to get out of the way, I would rather they just be warned the leaders are coming and continue their own race. If the leaders are that much faster, they have a better chance of finding a way around a slower rider if his lines are predictable. Most of the problems come from people running off line and slowing down and then being forced to cross the racing line for the next turn to stay out of the way, causing a big mismatch in speed. The guy in 2-3 today was right where he should have been in turn 2, but could not cross the line in front of the leaders to get off line in 3. He could have stayed closer to the left edge by about 3 feet, but that was all I saw he did wrong.

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I have always thoguht it odd that AMA pro asks guys to alter their line to let leaders by. I always thought that was more dangerous myself.

In MX (or at least it used to be) the blue flags were just to make you aware the leaders were coming. Not to alter your race. If they are that good, they will get by.

But on an MX course the lines vary a lot more, so :dunno.

Me personally, IF (big if) I were the leader, id rather the riders just know I am coming and NOT try to get out of my way. I will find a way through.

Not to say that wont still effect a race. A smart leader will still use the lappers to his advantage when he can, scrubbing off his competitors on lappers if he can. But just seems safer to me.

But i am sure there is no right answer for sure.

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Just a thought....
    Drop the % cutoff to the same as DSB which is 107%. For race 2 that would have cut the riders to 28 and there would have been no lappers to contend with.
    I am sure this will not be a popular concensus, but it might eliminate some of the very close calls that have occurred.

Note: My concern was not about the lappers that held their line. It was the lappers that didn't.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  11. six6two

six6two AWD

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the class w/ instances of SS riders going faster than the DSB guys like NJ last year?

12. Dano711

I agree.

13. latch

latch Well-Known Member

Unless they've changed the rule, DSB is 109%:

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Yep you are right...my mistake. But when SS has 40 plus riders vs 20 SBK, maybe SS needs 107%.

15. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Yes, neon yellow bike planted himself in the racing line

16. smrrc

smrrc Well-Known Member

Amen to that brother. At times this past weekend it was just plain ridiculous. I know this comment won't be popular but a good portion of those guys should probably stick with club racing and work on their skills a little more. Sorry If I offend anyone but that's how I see it

17. Dano711

I was only at the track Friday and we were saying the same thing. Looked like some were at a track day riding with their buddies.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Chasin' the dream, man!:up::eek:

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

There has to be a happy middle there somewhere.

I am not that fast, but not slow either. I see guys out there turning laps that barely run at the front of a trackday group. I think that is too slow

But also, The class IS an entry level pro class. I love Elena, and think she is awesome, but if she didnt want to see this sort of traffic she could have moved up to DSB. Same with Jake, or Rispoli or any of the others who had the chance.

I dont think either is right. I think the fast dudes/dudettes might want it cut down TOO low, but I think it is too high right now. At least at some tracks.

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Jake Lewis (or his Mom or Earl for that matter) felt that way when their favorite son was the one being lapped? SS is a developmental class...true it's higher on the evolutionary scale...still, the next Nicky or Ben just might be out there in his first SS race (getting lapped). Make is safe...OK, don't cut the field in half.