1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with drilling swingarm for sharkfin

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichB, May 10, 2012.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

This came up after a heated conversation with a scrutineer last weekend who said he wouldnt sign off on any bike that made good hp that had a sharkfin attached via drill/tap/helicoil to the swingarm. I didnt pursue it as wasnt my bike and had already been through, but that's what I've done as per instructions provided as much as I didnt enjoy doing it. I have no bias either way, but out of interest has anybody heard/witnessed a failure of a swingarm where the sharkfin was installed via drill/tap/helicoil?

2. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

What was the alternate suggestion? JB Weld or Super-Glue?

3. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

Our AMA bike was done that exact way. We did have the fin come loose during practice, only because someone forgot to put some loctite on the bolts, but the helicoils were in solid. Maybe the tech person was having a bad day. :mad:

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No way a SA would fail there....

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

What org is the scutineer with? Sounds like he needs a talking to from his head inspector.

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Local club racing level. I've never seen them damaged around the sharkfin, I'll def catch him up next time to discuss.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

IOM scrutineers are about the most thorough and strict tech inspectors you can imagine, and I'm pretty sure they not only pass that but require it.

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

To answer your question no. People drill holes in far more dangerous places than that, think bars. Inspector was a quack, or he "Polentoed" and wants everyone to be like him.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"Polentoed" :confused:

Edit: Never mind. I just remembered Dougie's mishap.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The swingarm on my ex-Parts Canada SS bike is drilled/tapped (no insert). I pulled the fin off swapping swingarms (about to go drill the new holes today, actually), and it was in for four years with red Loctite.

I plan to use the same method. No nutserts/heli, just straight tap and red Loctite.