Messed up story. Cop shot a dog

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by antor1, Apr 16, 2012.

1. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

Watch the other video it has newer updates including the 911 call and during what they play at no time is armed said.

So basically the cops said they were told an armed man (which would make sense why his weapon would be out) but then the news gets a hold of the 911 tape and it doesn't say armed. So did they lie about that? Or did the second report by the same news channel leave that out?

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

but it would have only taken 22 seconds for the dog to have him on the ground mauling him... so is he supposed to take the injuries or protect himself?

I was on your side at first, too. After getting some more details, it's pretty easy to see that it's not the cop's fault.

Did something bad happen? yes, losing a pet like that is horrible.

Was there a mistake made? yes, but the cop was at the address he was told to go to, and had his gun drawn because the call was for an armed man. There was a mistake made, but not by the cop.

IMO this is a series of events that added up to one tragedy. It's not one mistake by one person that added up to this.

3. cobra2497

He was never told armed man stop saying they said armed man. Watch the newer video. Holy shit can you not pay attention or comprehend that?

4. tittys04

I can't answer that, but it is conceivable that the dispatcher made a mistake and added "armed" to the description, or maybe they omitted that part of the 911 call, or maybe that wasn't the case at all. I am just speaking about that one video I saw. Wish I knew all the details and could hang the guilty party, but I don't.

5. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Cop shows up expecting trouble. Fine.
    Cop shows up weapon drawn due to report of armed person. Also fine.
    Cop panicking and shooting my dog? Not fine. A simple case of him not giving a fuck, it's just a dog, right?

Both my dogs will run up to you, at full ramming speed, hoping you'll be they're most newest bestest friend. Nothing I say will stop them from that.

My dog got loose one day while I was replacing my front door. I went around the block to look for him and saw three squad cars around a elderly neighbors house. As I pulled up, one bored looking officer was pulling a makeshift leash out of his car and strolling up to my dumb lab, doing his happy dance on the wrong damn back door.
    That is how you handle it IMHO.

Edit, yeah different scenario. So what. Still a little trigger happy for my liking.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. tittys04

Dude, dial it back a bit. How about you give me a chance to read stuff and respond accordingly. I was going off of one video that said "drunk, armed man." If there is a newer video out that I haven't seen, my bad. I know what I have seen and can only speak to that. I am not saying the manwas armed, I have no idea, just repeating what was said in the (first) video.

Now I remember why I don't hang out in the dungeon much, you guys are way too sensitive.

7. cobra2497

It's not just you sorry.:beer: Everyone is saying armed but the new report from the same TV station the 911 call doesn't say anything about the person being armed. Only that he is drunk

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How so?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because he is allowed to draw before going into a domestic disturbance call with a reportedly armed person.

10. tittys04

like i said, who knows where that word came from, it could have been in the 911 call (and left out of the report that you saw), it could have been added by the dispatcher to the officer, or it could have been completely made up by the reprters that i saw. Who knows.

However, if that word was NOT relayed to the officer, and he drew his gun that early, I would hope the officer is held accountable. But like I said, who knows what really happened.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still wondering - at what point of a dog coming at you do you show restraint? Seriously. How many feet do you give it? 2? 3? 10? 21 is the minimum for a human, pretty sure a dog moves quicker so 30? 40?

If you were there with a gun out and a dog you do not know is coming at you - what would your response be? Are you going to take the chance of being hurt or not?

I'd love to see all of the dog is always right corps on here stand there while one is coming at them...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You truly think a lab dancing around a back door is the same as one running at you barking? The scenario being different is kind of the entire point of what matters.... The dog running up to the owner and sitting would have stayed alive, the dog staying in the back yard same result.

13. cobra2497

I would've waited long enough to allow the owner to grab the dog after I gave the command instead of giving the command and then shooting right away.

And yes I would let a dog come at me all the way and actually do something before I kill it.

Then again I was taught don't fire unless fire upon so maybe I'm different.

14. novice201

No, and I said I didn't. However, the cops in my scenario gave a crap about my dog and didn't freak.
    It basically comes down to that. The cop in this case would rather shoot someones dog than deal. As a dog owner and lover, I have a hard time with that. But opinions vary.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you wait for the dog to get to you then there are a lot of situations you would be dead. A dog coming at you IS firing on you.

Glad you could sit there and wait to be hurt, I'm not going to let one get that close.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't freak at your scenario either - what was there to freak over? The only thing even close to similar is both involved dogs.

You're making up shit about this situation that isn't true to fit your conclusion sorry. You have no idea about the cop or how he feels about dogs and in all reality it doesn't matter - he had a barking dog coming at him. That is all it takes. He needs no other justification or reason for his response. Base it all on the owners words and description - the cop was still totally justified for what he did.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Really...that vicious Jack Russsell terrier barking at you and running towards you is enough to induce panic and gun fire?

Manly man. :D

18. Dizzle

Dizzle Well-Known Member

Man this world is crazy. That doctrine seems backwards to me. You would think they would exhaust all the resources they have before going muzzle to muzzle.

19. novice201

Hate to say it but I probably would, or at least kick the stupid thing in the chops first.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shit, I've seen JR's jump higher than I am tall, add in that little rat dogs are all vicious and hell yeah he's becoming a splat mark. Not sure why that would be panic inducing to you, it wouldn't panic me in the least, but the threat would be eliminated.