1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car for track days

Discussion in 'General' started by TWF2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Anybody in to track days with car? I am looking to get something to beat the crap out of it. Suggestions?
    Something like what sv is for bikes, maybe miata? What models and years are good, what people use?

2. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Any thing rear wheel drive like the Miata. Parts are readily available. I think a Fox body Mustang might be cool too.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

Yup - Miata is the answer...

4. TWF2

Any year? I see some as old as 91 selling cheap.

5. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

E30 body BMW....

6. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

They have a little bit of a bandwagon tax going on right now.

Miata is the right answer.

7. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

McGruber drives a Miata...

8. KLM

KLM Registered User

Car track days led to bikes for me. Depending on your budget, you should consider M3, Miata, C5 corvette.

Lighter cars like the Miata will be good on brakes and tires, but you will get killed on the straights. Think 250 v 600; you will eat the others alive on tighter tracks.

Have fun

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

SV = Miata.

I'd rather have an Elise though.

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I did a trackday at Daytona with Badbeak in a mid 80s 911... I still have the giggles.

Good fun.

11. sowega

sowega #710

Because the trackday was fun or because your seat was vibrating while you were close to Carl?

12. KLM

KLM Registered User

That is what I had; made for the track, it was fun. Thing was too delicate though.

13. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Meh...

Laugh it up. That Beak motherfucker is a car racin' mofo. Heaps of talent. :up:

14. TWF2

It is other way around for me, need to retire from 2 wheels, getting to old :)
    Not worry about straight line speed, can drive my car for that. I signed for Laguna later this month and will take my car there but don't want to beat on it and rather buy some low budget thing I can wrap around K wall and just get another one :).
    What about Z3 or audi TT?

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I would imagine the TT would be an awesome car to make a trackday car. Although I am talking out of my ass and have no idea anything about it. But I have always heard Miata also.

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

The TT is front wheel drive based on a Golf/Beetle.

17. sowega

sowega #710

I bet. Listening to he and James talk about car racing is pretty awesome.

18. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Alot of the guys i know that do it run mustangs.All years.I would stay away from euro crap.Way to much money and it's not worth it.Alot of guys drive miatas also.I don't think i could do that though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  19. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

buddy of mine is way into car days , longtime tech/instructor

miata is cheap and fun , if you want a little more umph supercharge or turbo kit , parts are everywhere
    nissan 240sx w/ some other mill in it , sr22det?
    s2000 if you just wanna buy it
    those saturn/pontiac convertible thingies but it's a pos gm
    88 up supra or lexus sc300
    subie wrx/sti
    fox bodied capri/stang/tbird/cougar (def buy a race car)
    05-07 legacygt is incredibly capable w/ just susp
    porsche 944 w/ a zo6/z28 motor is insane and kinda popular, goes turns and stops w/o breaking , if you get an s they are light , my pick for a plated car

maybe best to buy a track prepped car

if you don't have to drive it there thats a whole nother story , get a radical , he has had or still does have all the cars above plus many more higher & very very higher dollar units and that radical is just , well , radical . super light , busa powered , cheap to operate , corners so hard it will make the muscles that hold your eyeballs hurt , very much

the only car i had to focus on breathing in as it corners so very hard , just stupid fun

p.s. panteras are badass

20. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

They're heavy slow and expensive.

Miatas are fun and cheap but are gutless . Might get boring in a track day setting as everyone will pass you on the straights and hold you up in the corners.
    s2000s and nsx's are both fun. Ap1 s2000s can be had for around 10 or so. Another couple grand in wheels tires and suspension and you have a fun track toy. 944s are also a good choice that are popular in the track day crowd and can be found already prepd pretty cheap