1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing a 2008-10 R6 ECU for internal short

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichB, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Does anybody have suggestions for testing a 2008-10 R6 ECU for internal short? Quick background: the AIS wires shorted together on the dyno a few weeks ago, and whilst they removed the fried section near the connector (one of those wires goes straight to the ECU btw), the ignition fuse pops as soon as the key is switched to the ‘on’ position with the ECU connected. Originally I thought I had identified a ground in the ignition circuit, as literally everything apart from the ignition circuit was been disconnected or removed and it still trips it. But I was just chasing my tail and I’ve since found no grounds anywhere, continuity or voltage drop issues across the circuit - I'm pretty much out of ideas. As the fuse pops when the ECU is plugged in, I can’t run diag mode to confirm the ECU-dead code on the dash and I don’t want to get another ECU in the hope it will address the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Use it. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work there isn't anything you are going to be able to do to fix it. Or actually there is but you wouldn't be asking this question if you knew how.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

New ECU time.

4. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Bummer, but that's what I was thinking.

Can you please elaborate, are you referring to opening it up? Its a moot point as it would be deemed non-std and illegal afterwards. I was really hoping for a pin to pin resistance/continuity test to confirm its been deadened.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yes you can open it up and then dissolve the goo and then you have access to the circuit board. From there you can replace components so long as you have access to a surface soldering device.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

To clarify, in case Rich isn't familiar with the innards: Once the circuit board is created and set into the case, they inject resin in that fills the case entirely so that it's solid. Even if you popped it open, you'd just be looking at a solid hunk of resin with a few wires poking out.

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, if I go down that path I'll let you know how it goes.

8. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

There are automotive places that re-mfr ecu's. Try the old google search and hopefully you can find a place that can do yours.

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Update

A quick followup and question:
    I bought a reflashed ECU from the US, suitable for a Euro harness and had the immobiliser function disabled, great, and the fuse isnt tripping, so that's good. However I get an ER-4 error code, which is something about the meter (gauge cluster) receiving non-registered data. A search for other yamahas indicated it might be the immobiliser still sending data to the ECU - which now has the immobiliser function disabled in it. So is there any easy way to disconnect/stop the immobiliser from sending data? I don't even know if there's more to it than the chunk under the ignition main switch, there's almost zero information on it in the service manual. & no it's not stolen, please pm me if its not appropriate on the public forum. & if it's not the immobiliser issue then any suggestions as to what it might be??? :beer:

I've also asked the seller, I'll update if they provide a response.

10. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Get a US gauge.

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Thanks Emry, I hope I don't have to - I cleared the codes and disconnected the immobilizer subharness that goes to the ign, and it runs with no more error code. I'm happy, for now.