1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotch drinkers

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

We only use Maker's for pecan pies. Wife just baked one (using Old Forester, which is likewise cheap), and the smell is heaven.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That reminds me, I do need to get some bourbon in the house for cooking.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

shit, i can spend $50 a night on beer.
    drinkin' bourbon at the rate of a bottle/2-3 weeks, that's totally frugal.
    ...prolly explains why i'm not ridin'.

4. styles

styles The untrained eye

So I tried drinking scotch mixed with water a few times. I didn't enjoy it, but I did it. Went to a friend's house, he heard I was trying to drink scotch so he made me an Old Fashioned. Not bad! Finished two of them. Went to a bar downtown and ordered an Old Fashioned with bourbon this time, and I actually enjoyed this one. A different night I tried another Old Fashioned with scotch at another bar. Tasted like ass and sugar.

Sunday night I ordered a Maker's on the rocks. My first time without adding water or anything else. Downed it pretty easily. I think I might stick with bourbon for a little longer.

5. Bugman

Bugman Well-Known Member

Maker's Mark is like watered down Jack Daniels.

A customer gave me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black last week and it's my new scotch of choice...very nice!

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah I'm loving JW Double-Black!

7. brother_ed7

brother_ed7 brother_ed7

Jack Daniels= Whiskey found in the trailer parks.

Makers= some decent stuff found near Springfield . ( I still would rather have Tequila!)

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I can't believe you nancies have not mentioned rye whiskeys yet. Woodford's is fantastic bourbon, but Bulleit Rye is still my favorite drink ever.

Haven't found a scotch I've liked yet; am working on learning gins first (who was it that said clear liquors are for homos?).

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

:stupid:

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My boss was sent a gift for Christmas that has 3 types of Johnnie Walker in it. If I come to any WERA events this year I can give it to one of you guys who wants it or split it between 3 people, whatever.

11. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

um.... jameson neat?

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

A co-worker put a $65 glass of McCallans scotch on my tab. He got his ass whooped over it. What makes a glass of that vile shit worth $65??? Because it's aged vile shit?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A side order of cocaine, maybe? :D

14. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Just tried an Irish whisky named: Redbreast
    It was a 'single pot' and I liked it. My typical go to is Makers or Blanton's, Redbreast will be part of my bar stock from now on.

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

One time, long long ago, I drank a bunch of that and woke up peeing in the corner of my bedroom. :crackup:

16. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Now, try a "perfect" and a Manhattan.

17. It's like oysters silly. Why the f*ck would anyone eat the slimy POS and say Yummm! . I know, we all do, but it's the sauce we like. Scotch is a totally acquired taste. I got into it, ran hard on Johnny Walker Black with the occasional Blue and then got of it to go to Marker's Mark (yummy). I had a scotch with a splash recently and almost threw it out. The key is in "almost". Still good liquid food and by the end of the glass, she was starting to taste good again. Been trying Basil Hayden lately - kinda good. tried it cause my best friend's name is Billy Hand and he goes by BH. So , I spotted the BH in the store and figured the stars were aligned...not bad stuff at all - similar to Woodford and Knob's.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  18. Red hurts da head..Black brings you back. Green is for hippies. Blue gives you da groove...

19. madman

madman Well-Known Member

The acquired taste deal works with a lot of things. First time I had a Stone Arrogant Bastard, I complained about how horrible it was - but I wasn't gonna waste it. Years later Stone is my favorite brewing company. It also helps that my girlfriend drinks dark beer (mostly stouts) and makes all the guys feel like shit when they drink their piss beer.

Anyway the same applies to lots of things like pretty much any straight alcohol, beer, Sushi, rare meat, etc. Remember the first time you tried a ciggarette/cigar or a Bud Light?

Still, acquiring a taste will only take you so far. While I can enjoy a Scotch here and there, I still GREATLY prefer Bourbon Whisky.

20. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I wish I'd read that last week. Didn't feel like going downtown so I grabbed a bottle of Red figuring it would be halfway decent. I can see where Dave gets his opinions about Hagus McNastyass. It tasted like diesel fuel.

Went downtown and grabbed 2 liters of my cheap stuff. Which also made me realize I'm going through a bottle about every 3 days.