1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working past depression

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Feb 2, 2012.

1. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

hookers and blow helped Sheen through it

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Lunchtime :D

3. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

This be a serious issue, as most of us have been there to some extent one way or another. You never know when somebody is talking about being depressed, just how far gone they are. Could be the last call out for help sometimes.

If ya want the regular wera posts I'm sure there is enough in the dungeon to reaffirm you are still on wera :D

4. primo

primo Well-Known Member

You mean heart to heart like hold hands and skip jump around the track together and share our loving hearts together? I think I might like that. You have no idea who I am and here you say you want to have a little heart to heart with me. You're too funny. I'm sorry to everyone about this depression thing, I don't know or have friends that do. I can still hear my grampa's grumpy voice the day I told my mom that I was sad when I was ten years old. He said, "whip your dick out and jerk it off, life is too short and pussy is too good." My mom freaked out and told him to STFU and to not talk to her son like that, but he was right. I don't take shit too seriously. I live every day like it's the last one. Although my girlfriend agrees with you on the asshole part, in fact she just called me that today!

5. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

This post explains a lot.
    Sorry for you man.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's depressing.

7. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

I lost a close friend and had some major turning points quite young. I was clinically depressed and went and saw a doctor and was put on meds. I hated the way they made me feel and the thought of needing meds just to be happy.
    I got tired of self medicating and feeling so negative and just decided I refused to feel like shit anymore. I got over everything regardless of how I "should" feel toward people or things that happened and moved on

I constanty strive to stay positive about anything that happens and just be happy im alive and thankful for what I do have.

Best of luck in your fight and I wish you the best. You will know whats best that helps you

8. gsxrchick22

gsxrchick22 ~Deidra XOXOXO

Come see me! Between the zoo and house guests we keep, this place is always good for a laugh! ;)
    Just saying

9. primo

primo Well-Known Member

The Sexiest Eyebrows Ever! ;)

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Sometimes the beeb hits me between the eyes.

I slowly sank into a depressive state about a month before the GNF. The whole time I was there, I felt like I was in a fog, not really motivated or interested in what was going on. I felt like I was just putting one foot in front of the other. I confided in the wrong person about how I felt and what was going on. That person's reaction (made it all about themself) almost sent me over the edge. It was very dark for a couple weeks. I didn't want or see any point to keep living.

It is my good fortune that I have a sponsor in recovery who was willing to listen and direct me to some valuable help. Things are somewhat better now, but I still felt somewhat unfocused and lacking motivation.

Some useful things I learned:

1) Talk to somebody who has the skill set to help you, not just any random person. (You might get some dickhead like Primo, who just fires off some random bullshit thinking that your condition is not serious.)

2) When you find somebody to help you, FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE. I know that sounds obvious, but actually embracing a substantive change in your life and habits is hard when you lack the motivation to brush your teeth.

3) If a friend or family member is willing to walk beside you in the dark time, accept that help gratefully.

I had my new granddaughter with me for two weeks in December, still I felt lost and hopeless inside, I just hid it as well as I could. I have found it very difficult to focus on work, spending many hours just sitting alone.

I wasn't even interested in riding or working on my bike all of December and after New Year's Eve. Then I had the offer to go to Jennings and I figured that would be just the ticket, get some hot laps in, do the adrenaline therapy thing. Unfortunately, I witnessed the passing of a friend on the track the first day down there. That might have been the turning point for me, as I realized that it was not the time for me to be self-centered, it was time to be of service to her family and friends. Two weeks later, another good friend lost her mother after an arduous battle with illness. Again, I had to "be there" for her and was pulled out of my funk.

Slowly, the darkness is lifting. I can't do the medication route, drugs are my enemy, I know that for me that would just take me deeper.

Thanks for reading/listening. I'm sure better times are ahead. The smell of race gas and hot tires will certainly help. It won't be long now.

Today is the first time I have really been excited to race since last September at Summit point. :(

11. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Focus is hard and finding things to get excited about is tough. Sounds like you've found a good path to follow. Stick with it! Sometimes being someone else's 'stabile foundation' becomes [your] reason for being... in turn and helps you find stabile ground :up:

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Well, i made the best of this weekend. Last night i went with Dale Stansberry, to listen to some dam good music. Once we got done there, we went out to the local brewery and drank some beers and grey goose vodka. The scenery, made it hard to concentrate on the pool game we were trying to play. Stayed there for a good bit, and laughing and cutting up with some other of our friends that happen to stumble in. Then this morning, i got up and went outside and worked inside the toyhauler a while, waiting on Dale to get back here. Once he got back, we put the transmission in the van, and what not, and did the test drive. I usually hate working on my own shit, but actually had a nice time today doing it. I have read EVERY post on here, and taking most EVERYONE to heart. Thank you all so much for the word and what not. Last night/ today, i didnt think one thing about the few bad things going on, and was concentrating on what we had at hand. Really helped me alot.. O, and the best part last night, my girlfriend stayed at home, but her friend had stumbled her way into the bar. She was telling all her friends that we are "professional" bike racers. At that point i stuck my chest out, and tried to impress the other girls there.. Forgot for a minute that my girlfrieds best friend was the one saying this, and that i could easily get into trouble lol.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Even little victories are sweet :up:

14. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Glad you're feeling better! Be cool with the booze when you're feeling low though.

15. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I posted "I can't do the medication route, drugs are my enemy, I know that for me that would just take me deeper."

As I mentioned earlier in my post, I'm in recovery, from drug addiction. I can't do drugs to "fix" me. I certainly did NOT make any suggestion on what somebody else should do, nor was that part of my post intended as advice to somebody else. Read it again, please.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  17. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Things get taken out of context easily, mis-read and sometimes hard to follow. Really tough to understand what someone's thinking while you're reading what they're writing in here... sometimes. All in all, everything's good!

Chicken, I commend you for staying away from the meds (now knowing your past) :bow: Drop, looks like you're figuring a path that's working for you :up: MB, your encouragement on this issue has been very considerate :cool:
    I don't condone or condemn meds. That's up to the individual and also the physician recommending them. I don't have to take anything and I hate taking meds. But I do because it's more important to me that Susan (wife) gets a more pleasant and tolerable me. Not the me that's easily frustrated, angry at the world, wanting to fight at the first signs of disagreement... and then falling off into a haze of not knowing where I am/who I am/why bother and not eat/sleep/talk to anyone state. A lot of these types of meds are a roller coaster ride, in themselves, until they are working in your system (average about 4 to 6 weeks). I don't think meds should be a first resort. The circumstances will dictate. But if you've tried to work things out on your own or with a support group (friends and/or family) and had no luck, then it's time to seek professional help. After getting a good reading during a session, a psychologist or psychiatrist might give you the necessary feedback to help you repair your issue(s) without the use of meds.

Just a little food for thought.

18. DROP, DROP, DROP, DROP, DROP, DROP, UMMMMMM, You better watch your ass there hunny, dont forget, Im a member on here to. Now anything else you want to say........ lmao. Just kiddin, you can do what ever, well almost what ever you want, as long as your happy......... Yes Im Drop's girl.........

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Am I the only one thinking Uh Oh, relapse?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nope