1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working past depression

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Feb 2, 2012.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

As i feel myself for some reason slipping into this state, i hate it. Ill not go into much detail as i dont talk about my problems much.. But i am heading down the road to a major depression and dont want to...

Anyone deal with this, or know what i can do to push threw/past it?

2. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Short answer, the glass is always half full.

I find myself having to say that more and more these days. Hang in there.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Go see someone. As a person that has never been depressed a day in my life I cannot speak on how to get over it.

However it is an actual chemical imbalance and needs treatment.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I suffered from major depression after more than a few back to back to back tragedys in my life.

I really can't offer any helpful advice except, don't.

Nothing helped me. Not talking, not meds, not drinking or covering it up with self destructive behavior.

In the end I just flat out got tired of feeling the way I did and it was either kill myself or or get the fuxk over it. I dont believe in god so i didnt want to waste what i believe is my only life. forced myself to get my shit together.

Be strong.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Go spend a little time in the cancer ward at the local hospital and you'll start to realize how f@*king kickass awesome your life truely is.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I went through a similar situation a few years ago. What helped me was to set goals with my career. I was working at an independent automotive repair garage and since it was family owned, I was the last person in line to ever advance.

I found a dealership job making flat rate pay, and focused on training and ASE certifications.

Today, I'm fairly happy, hold an expert certification through Toyota (would be master, but need more tenure), and I am an advanced level ASE master technician.

My advice would be to set small, easily attainable goals. Then, when the depression improves, move on to bigger, harder to reach things.

7. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Two words:

New. Pussy.

:D

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Go talk to your doctor and be honest with him.

There's nothing wrong with taking a pill in the morning if you ain't happy.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Please seek some medical help. Don't try and work through it alone.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Really?

I think pills should be a last resort option, not the first answer.

11. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Work on your bike. Even if it's just taking the body work off and cleaning it... doesnt cost a thing and it does help, at least for me it does.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Depression can be brought on by many, many different situations/triggers and it is not always a chemical imbalance that causes it. The "medicate yourself to wellness" crowd does a great disservice to millions of people. Find the cause/triggers and work it backwards.

It never hurts to get some professional help.

I have been what I think is mildly depressed recently, my mother passed away in early December and my dad's in a difficult situation which I am having a hard time coming to grips with. That's not chemical imbalance, it's me struggling to deal with something new to me and a situation which I have very limited control over which isn't a situation I am used to being in. I can't make my dad's vision get better....he's blind and will be until he'd dead. I can't bring my mom back... she's gone forever.

Ok..so what CAN I do? I sat down and wrote down my feelings about what was going on and why I feel the way I do. After that, I laid out a (realistic...this is important!!) plan with some goals and milestones for progress regarding the situation and the things I can effect change on. The items that are conditions (ones that cannot be changed because they are what they are) are items I need to accept as such. Knowing the difference helps me to concentrate my efforts on progress and avoid frustration.

Is shit really any better than it was? No, not really but my preception of it is and preception is reality. I feel more in control of the situation because I have a plan in place and can work my plan and I am progressing and that makes all the difference in the world to me. Make sense?? YRMV.

Edit... sometimes meds are needed and results are impressive. Check NPR podcasts from a couple of days ago about some new meds. Common otc motion sickness drugs have been working wonders for many.

Good luck Amigo.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Do this

Sorry dude, but for.someone with true clinical depression that will do nothing.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you're not wanting to be medicated, and you don't have a particular thing that is weighing heavy on your mind, you may want to consider some holistic/nutritional therapies.

Cutting refined sugars and starches out and starting an exercise regimen may help.

Like others have said, though, there is no shame in asking for help finding your way through the fog. There's no single panacea, so don't be discouraged if your first few attempts don't yield the expected results (especially on a nutritional course, you'll actually suffer a short period of *worse* symptoms, they call it the "carb flu", but when you get your body purged of them and start using fats and proteins for your energy, you'll be amazed at the stamina and just how much better you feel). :up:

15. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

Or go just go ride. I know when I even think it won't make me happy I always feel better after riding, even if it's a shitty street ride.

16. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, going for a ride is first on the list!!! but sometimes that isn't always an option.

17. trancework

trancework It's always now...

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's a bitch... Get someone to talk it out with, I have a great a grief counselor. Don't compound it by kicking your own ass over how you feel... just accept that it is whatever it is--be unapologetically YOU. A bout of depression is nearly the same as a bad fever.... it sucks going through it, but when it breaks its over...

But find a support system, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it... If you gotta shutdown and grab your own space, just let people know so they don't think it's them... "Damn sorry about spacing--thanks for the [whatever], maybe next time... depression's a bitch." Make it your mission to get back to awesome. :D

Try and find your happiness:
    http://www.amazon.com/Be-Happy-Rele...=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328239338&sr=1-8

There's a great book on the subject: http://www.noondaydemon.com/summary.html

This one's got a lot of good info:
    http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-De...WKY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328239306&sr=8-1

Best things to help are diet and exercise and trying to plan a little bit of cool sh#t into each day.

18. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+1.

Talk to a professional to get the best guidance. Don't play around with it.

19. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Shoot your self or jump off the bridge. The end. :up:

20. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member