1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotch drinkers

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Dec 23, 2011.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

wish i could drink the brown stuff myself but i guess ill stick to wine

2. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

Well I'm thirsty now and it's 9am :/.

3. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorites if I'm in the mood for a full-bodied peaty beast...def not a dram for the beginners. Costco had this on sale for $54 a couple of weeks ago :up:

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm off to get my neighbor a bottle of Johnny Walker. Red or Green, haven't decided yet.

5. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

Love that Doublewood for its smoothness. But Bowmore 18 is my drink of choice. The BLRTC is known for its Saturday night tasting sessions at the race track. Usually have 6 or 8 different Scotch bottles on board the trailer. Even have a real scotch tasting glass my wife got in Edinborough.
    Usually add just a couple of drops of cold water to open up the flavor.

Be sure and sip and take in oxygen over the top of the liquid while it is still on your tongue.

Its only 9 am, but I'm headed for the cellar where the bottles are stored.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How can you booze hounds afford that habit AND racing. Booze is expensive!

Got my neighbor a 750ml of JW green. $50!!!!

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Now you know why I like the red?

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Red and Green back to back and there's no disputing it, green is sooooo much smoother!

9. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I tried it with water once....never again.

Straight up and get the good stuff !!!

10. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Same here. I kinda pride myself on liking lots of 'acquired' tastes that many people can't appreciate. A short glass with an ounce or two of good stuff in a glass seems like such a cool thing. But man this is a tough one.

I've been working with a guy that is constantly talking about 12-year this, caramel finish, oak barrels, etc, on and on. Well this summer we had a business trip together and went out to a nice bar for some eats. I told him to order me up the best booze they had so I could finally give this a proper try. It was some kind of top shelf 20-year single malt wish I remembered the brand. I really gave it a good try. We ordered a couple of glasses - one with a few cubes and one straight. I sipped it, breathed thru nose, you name it and just could not appreciate it.

Just gotta keep trying I guess, because some of the best things in life take time to appreciate.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't drink brown liquor, it doesn't mix well with me. I also avoid clear, neon green or any color liquor. :D

Shoot, you asked me a favor a day or two ago but it slipped my mind. What was it again?

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or maybe your body was right the first time and those things are just not that good. The more I read this thread, the more I think this scotch drinking thing is more about peer pressure and wanting to be cool than anything else. :D

13. acorn27

Take coffee for example, or even beer for that matter. How many people 'really' liked it the first time or two that you had it. But after a little while it's something that you may really come to like, and enjoy the subtle differences in various types.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't disagree with that, but there is a whole spectrum of disgust covering the various things you don't like the first time you taste them. I would imagine that most people do not dislike their first beer or coffee as much as they dislike their first scotch. So the question is at what point do you decide something is not enough that there is no reason to try it again? I'm sure that with enough tries, some people might get used to the taste of gasoline. Doesn't make it good.

By the way, I don't like beer and can barely tolerate coffee. :D

15. acorn27

True that. I might never like it, but at least I want to give it a shot. :beer:

(and the guys on Mad Men make it look so cool....)

16. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Wild Turkey is a great one too. Used to drink that years ago. I need to get a few different bottle and go through a "sampling" to remind myself of the different options out there...:beer:

17. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Red is for mixing with soda. Just picked up some Highland Park 12 year for the first time, pretty good.

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Scotch is horrible to me, I love whiskey and bourbon but can't take scotch. I don't see anything wrong with Maker's either, it's not high end but it's tasty to me.

My only problem with drinking stuff neat or on the rocks is that I'm used to drinking large amounts of beer or mixed drinks so it's hard to not get wasted. I was drinking Sapphire on the rocks for a while (another acquired taste, I hated gin before), but I was getting too fucked up and had bad hangovers so I got off it.

Oh and I've seen Evan Williams mentioned a few times here, that shit is fucking disgusting unless it's changed from when we used to drink it as 20 year olds because it was the cheapest bottle they had. We called it EW and it was a perfect name for it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  19. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Scotch is whiskey:D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bought a bottle of Maker's Mark (The Bouncing Souls should get a royalty for this and should the BBS) whiskey while at the ABC. "Those WERA BBS dopes have to know something because they're too ugly to be smart."

Opened it up, took a whiff. . . nope, you all are ugly and don't know jack spit. Icky poo!