1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotch drinkers

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Look, my glass of scotch has a peanut in it, Haggis McNastyass must have been down to the pub.

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Haggis McNastyass....LOL

You have a special talent Dave...

3. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Started drinking it about a year ago. I like Macallan and drink the 12yr and 15yr on a regular basis.

Adding water or ice is a no-no. I know some do it but what is the point in watering down the good stuff?

A few small drops of water does "open up" some scotch but I prefer it straight up no ice or anything like most.

It takes a while to get the taste down but once you do there is nothing like it. Your forced to sip good scotch and after a while you can tell a difference in the regions and soil types out there.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yes, I'd like a scotch sour made with your finest single malt. Got any peanuts?

5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I like scotch. And I usually drink the cheap stuff. Like beer, cigars, or just about anything else it comes down to personal preference. If it tastes good to you then drink it - don't let someone else tell you what's good. If it tastes like jet fuel then why subject yourself to the torture?

I like my Trader Joe's 3yr blend for $12/litre. They have a 10yr single malt but it's twice the price (still a good deal) and isn't as smooth.

6. styles

styles The untrained eye

This. Makes me want to start trying right now!

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Johnnie Walker red. Scored a handle at Sams Club the other day for $26.00. :up:

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I was introduced to Blantons earlier this year. It is really good. Not too expensive either.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I like several different makes but Glenlivet is my "go to".

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Johnnie Walker Black is my go to whisky.

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Agree - Maker's sucks. Woodford and Booker's, Knob Creek in a pinch.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

try it w/ 2 ice cubes in about 4oz. let the ice cubes melt first, then see how u like it. work down to 1 ice cube for inexpensive stuff, but never drink good scotch w/ ice or water.

seriously, dont bother w/ blended scotch's. single malt ONLY.

Glenfiddich 12 is my favorite bottle under 30$, less "bite" than Glenlivet 12 and much much better than Johnnie Walker Black or Red. i just got a bottle of Glenlivet 15 for my bday and its pretty damn good, but more expensive.

i think my next bottle will be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. ive heard great things about it and am curious to try it.

13. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

:up:

I started with Jack & Coke, then Jack and ice, and moved over to premium bourbons and scotchs. Yea, it's an acquired taste, but its more about the finish and the buzz it gives you.

A good bourbon/scotch will make you feel all warm and mellow inside :p

And yes, it is quite a manly drink. No faggy umbrellas or gay-ass martini glasses with shit sticking out of it; just a quality rocks glass and amber liquid. Something you'd see in the hands of McQueen or Hemingway.

I think I need one right now . . .

14. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Nothing wrong with Makers, but there are some smoother options out there.

For day-to-day stuff, the Makers does just fine for me.

Now, my Grandmother lives and dies by Evan Williams. I have to keep that for when she comes to visit...LOL

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Maker's Mark does not suck. There are IMO a lot of finer bourbons, but it really does not suck. Try some Hirsch 16 y.o. Reserve if you want really top shelf.

But this was about Scotch. Grow a pair and go for some Laphroig 10. If you can do that, everything else is smooth. :crackup:

16. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

3 glasses of Knob Creek and a good steak is heaven. I've been known to enjoy the Evan Williams while sitting in the hot.tub....decent cheap bourbon.

17. EJ999

EJ999 Well-Known Member

Oban.

Joe? Doug?

18. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Why is that? I've always marvelled at the pricetag of Johnnie Blue for a blend.

19. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

+1

20. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

this is what the wife brought home for me the other day bottle of Gentleman Jack, Makers Mark, and a bottle of Dewars white label scotch whisky, then today I picked up a mason jar of midnight moon corn whisky they didn't have the good stuff I wanted so got the apple pie flavored whisky.. it smells so damn good..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011