1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotch drinkers

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Dec 23, 2011.

1. styles

styles The untrained eye

How the heck do you drink this stuff straight up?

I've got one friend who always wants me to try some scotch when I go to his place. Last time he had a bottle of the best scotch he said he's ever had and swore I would like it. So I took a sip and sure enough - yuck. Gave him the rest.

HOWEVER! I am determined to be a scotch drinker.

It just strikes me as some manly ass shit that I need to be able to do. For the past few weeks I've had a bottle of Glenmorangie (fiance's cousin bought it for her birthday - she doesn't drink scotch - must be fate for me) calling my name. I must answer it's call. But how? Mix with water?

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The hell with scotch.

Drink bourbon, the only true manly spirit.

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Yup. Start with two cubes and some water. About half and half, then wean yourself off the water. You'll grow to love it.

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

To drink it straight, it helps to have a good (See: Expensive) Scotch. Otherwise mix with water.

As for the Bourbon/Whiskey drinkers...Makers Mark currently resides at the top of my list...:D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't get it. If something is nasty, why would you make yourself drink it until you like it?

6. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

You could start by not ordering anymore apple-tinis and cosmopolitans.

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I spent a week straight last year trying to like the stuff, tried a different one each night. Told the bartender not to worry about price and give me whatever he liked as I was just a dumbass American.

It sucks. Peat, no peat...didn't matter.

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Vodka straight up. Cures what ailes you!

9. cgordon3

or it ails what cures you.... that is some hard core drinking right there:beer:

10. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

See if you can take a scotch tasting class. There's a local joint that does them, and it's usually about 6 rounds for $25 and they teach you some of the basics about the different groups.

Or just man up. Start with a cube or two and work your way towards neat

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When you pay someone to tell you what tastes good to you, you immediately forfeit your right to complain about the economy.

12. misterwaterfall

Maybe this series is different but the guy putting it on has never told us what tastes "good". He'll tell you what the bottle will cost, and what other's have said it tastes like, but not what is good and bad

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Oh come on Chris, we need to work on that.

Maker's is what we serve to the guest that mix their bourbon with Coke.

Woodford Reserve, Blanton's or Booker's. Now you're in bourbon nirvana:up:

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was mostly joking. I have no idea what goes on in those tasting classes.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

It is that acquired taste thing, kind of like the beeb.

16. misterwaterfall

It's kind of like a wine tasting except is doesn't suck, and you can bet your ass no one is spitting out the alcohol after tasting it

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Take a class? Is the class going to make scotch taste less like dirty ass?

<professor McPompous of the glasgow McPompous's standing in front of the class wearing a catholic schoolgirl's skirt, a tweet jacket and a beret with that little fuzzy ball on top> "Well, you should try this scotch, it is made in the highlands, filtered through peat only found in the bog outside Haggish McNastyass's outhouse and aged for 20 years in a dirty plastic bucket. You can tell Haggish only eats boiled potatos and drinks Boddintons when you taste it. Mmmm mmm mmm, you can taste the Haggish McNastyass ass in it."

Scotch is ASS!!!

18. dlafz1

dlafz1 Well-Known Member

This.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Two years ago I wouldn't touch scotch. Now I love it! On the rocks, please! Johnny Walker Green is my go to for scotch. What's yours?

20. cgordon3

ok, let me qualify myself here. When I am mixing drinks, or I get myself something in the evenings, my first goto is the Makers. I can go through a bottle in about 2-3 weeks if I am not careful, and even the makers can add up quick. When I cheap out I go straight to the Evan Williams... :D

The Woodford is some good shite, but, for me it is a little too expensive to drink a bottle that fast.

I will have to look into Blanton's and Bookers's.... haven't had those I don't think.