1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet in dishwasher?

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I have been told by a few unnamed parties that the best way to clean an ARAI is in the dishwasher. What sayeth the beeb?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, hell no.

Soapy water and a cloth. Why would you need more than that?

3. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Put it on your head in the shower after you have lathered up with shampoo. Rinse and repeat.

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

motorex makes the best helmet cleaner i've ever found. i got it directly from them, somewhere in minnesota. give that a look.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I remove whatever padding I can and soak everything in shampoo. Rinse, repeat... lol

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

The Beeb sayeth you shouldn't be left to your own devices. Being mentaly challenged and all.

Helmet in standard use - 5 year lifespan. Wash the pads with soap and water. If they are removable then stick them in the washer. Do not do anything to screw up the styrofoam that is your crush protection inside the helmet. If it's degrading or crushed...replace helmet. And I don't care if the outer shell looks perfect.

For general use it doesn't hurt to drop a sheet of Bounce in the helmet when it's stored. Keeps it smelling a lot fresher. I learned that trick dirtbiking.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have filled em up with soapy water and squished all about.. few good rinses. Especially my Arai dirt bike helmets, they get pretty grungy after 2 hrs of harescramble racin. Im eating a little more roost n' dust in the "A" class that i did in "b" :) LOL
    The liners of most Arai helmets come out, the rx7 and CorsrV are a little tricky to get the tabs back into the cheek pads. I have always keep the pads in one helmet to look at as a reference.

Keep your helmets in air conditioned space or they get "funky". I spray some Fabreeze in em after a ride between serious washins.

8. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

They were not friends. :D

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pull out the liner and wash it with some mild shampoo.

You can also rinse the liner-less helmet with clean water to wash away any salts/dirt that made it past the liner. I don't use any soaps or detergents during this step....just clean water to rinse.

I usually do all this in the shower actually.

I would avoid sticking a drier sheet in your lid while it's being store. Those things are full of chemicals are no good for you.

10. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

:stupid:

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's the most insane thing I've read in quite awhile. So insane that it had me thinking for a few minutes.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wow, that's early-Lever-level shit right there.

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I set mine in the driveway upside down, spray it with some simple green and hit it with the pressure washer. Gets in all the cracks and stuff and cleans it real good. The dishwasher thing sounds much easier though, thanks for the heads up :up:

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Tuesday night is league night down at the Sunshine Lanes just outside of town. I swing by there and put mine in the fancy AMF bowling ball cleaning machine.

It works like a charm and leaves no embarassing spots or streaks like the dishwasher does when you don't use the good stuff like Cascade for your Arai or Shoei.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why wouldn't the ball washer at the AMF not work?

16. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Dave said "ball washer."

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He doesn't do that kind of helmet.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Well, I'm kinda new to all this but I've been putting my helmets (Arai-Shoei-Simpson-Bell) in the dishwasher at least once a year since `75 or so. One thing, do NOT run the 'dry' cycle.

Rest of the time I tuck a USED dryer sheet in `em. Makes me smell fresh as a daisy.

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm really not stirring the pot here, but I'm curious about the logic you applied in this statement.

Do you use drier sheets on your clothes when they're being... well, dried? :confused:

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Oh SNAP!