1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Legislation

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by bodell, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

2. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

Good Lord, who introduced that legislation? It's like the Patriot Act on meth

I can hear it now, "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about"

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whose website is that? They definitely throw the boogie man scare out there and leave out a lot of details.

Black helicopters!!!!

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

It appears to be Senator Carl Levin, what are you guys up in arms about, be specific?

5. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

682 pages? Really? There's so much shit in there, it would burn for years.

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

And wtf is the wwwS. all about?

7. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

10. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

This has to do with it... although perhaps not to the extent many were "hoping"... but perhaps I am missing something in the "this section" part...

8 (b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS
    9 AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—
    10 (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The require-
    11 ment to detain a person in military custody under
    12 this section does not extend to citizens of the United
    13 States.
    14 (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The require-
    15 ment to detain a person in military custody under
    16 this section does not extend to a lawful resident
    17 alien of the United States on the basis of conduct
    18 taking place within the United States, except to the
    19 extent permitted by the Constitution of the United
    20 States.

11. povol

povol Well-Known Member

it authorizes the president to use “all necessary and appropriate force” to detain people suspected of terrorism, and also calls for al-Qaeda fighters who plot or carry out attacks against the U.S. to be held in military custody. It also allows the president to decide which detainees fit that definition and permits the government to hold suspected al-Qaeda members in military custody if it is determined to be in the interest of U.S. national security. However, it specifically states in sec. 1031(b) that military detention does not apply to U.S. citizens or legal residents, but only American al-Qaeda, Taliban, and their affiliate terrorist groups.

It bullshit the way its worded. It could and probably would be used in a sinister way.Basically what it says is, it doesnt apply to US citizens or legal residents, unless you are deemed to be a terrorist, then all bets are off. Whisked away to a secret military prison with zero recourse. Your family might not even know where you have gone, just disappeared of the face of the planet. Im all for holding military tribunals for anyone caught plotting against the country, but no way will i approve of government having the legal authority to snatch up citizens of this country and make them disappear.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Shrouded in FEMA camp secrecy.http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3722184#post3722184

Well, I do hope that this is getting some attention. Rand Paul was one of only 7 senators who voted against it, though. Any word on the House version?

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't you guys think that if they wanted to snatch somebody up and make them disappear they'd do it, regardless of whether it was legal or not? If they really wanted to, they could just declare martial law anyway and suspend all of our rights, then what?

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, you are right. Let's just surrender. What can we do anyway? You from Compiegne?

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about we stop bitching about the inconsequential things and instead bitch about shit that matters, like why are they even bothering with this when they've been doing it all along anyway.

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I personally don't know anyone that has been snatched, so I can't claim that they've been doing it. You could be right that the passage of this bill may mean nothing in the full scope of things, however, shit like this matters to me. At least without this bill, body snatching by the gov. would still be illegal.

I wouldn't put it past somebody like Nixon to use crap like this to get rid of some political enemies and that is the real danger here. If it is illegal, then maybe somebody will eventually get tried for it. If it is not illegal, then there is no need for somebody to talk.

Wouldn't it be strangely poetic for a new potus to exercise this provision on Le-Vin and McCan't?:crackup:

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Nixon was a piker compared with what we're dealing with today.

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez