Help Me Pick My New Phone

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

I have worked, and still work in the cellular industry and all I can say is get an iPhone. The sales people are going to try and sell you a droid phone because they get paid more on them. I've had many many many Blackberry's (reliable, but doesn't do much well), Droids (does everything well, but glitchy as hell) and now an iPhone 4 (the best reliability and does it all well). Can I also tell you that the current 4G (or what they call 4G) is actually still 3G...or 3.5G. You won't notice a speed difference between a droid and an iPhone. Just get the iPhone and be happy.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

But it won't as HTC will continue to put sense on their devices. Motorola stands a chance of seeing Blur go away now that thye have been aquired by Google. But I doubt even that will happen.

Fragmentation will continue as long as Google allows manufactuers to modify the OS as they see fit.

3. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You are not replacing your phone. Get the fuck off this thread. xoxo

5. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

Ask Siri where to hide a dead body....

6. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Are you are only referring to ATT and Sprint's 4G service?

But,

You're off your rocker.:crackup: if you are talking about VZW's 4G. How can you work in the cell phone industry and not know the difference between LTE and 3g service in terms of download and upload speed? Just go youtube some 4g LTE vs. 3G speedtest.net videos to see how big of a difference there is.... it's unbelievable how much faster LTE is.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

A moot point considering most install a 3rd party launcher like Go Launcher anyway.

Also moot for HTC because their bootloaders are easily unlocked (hacked) and custom Rom's installed.

The bottom line (for me) is that if you just want a phone that requires you to accept someone else's idea of how your phone should work (Apple) then you should get an Iphone.

To me, that's like buying a sport bike off the showfloor and leaving it stock... who here likes that idea?

If you like choice in devices and are actually interested in being able to change your phone to suit your desires then most phones running Android are the way to go... which is why the Samsung Nexus is so appealing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the bike is good off the floor I leave it alone. If it's not then I have to mess with it to make it better. My iPhones are good out of the box and need no tweaking to work great. Sorry to hear the droid stuff does.

9. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

:stupid:

Once you start doing serious mods to the engine you start to eat into reliability. Notice the people referencing the stability of the iPhone versus Droid?

I'm not taking a side, do what is right for you, but there is absolutely a trade-off in having the easy customizing. You run into the exact same issues once you jailbreak the iPhone and start running more custom apps and whatnot.

10. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Agreed, once 4G LTE is actually being used. I'm pretty sure they only actually have 4G LTE live in like 2 test markets.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Oh my........you are sooooooooo wrong. Verizon's 4g LTE is in way over 100 marketplaces in the USA and the entire US should be covered by sometime in 2013. We recently got it in the Knoxville, TN area, this past summer and the difference between 3G speeds and 4G speeds is like going from dial-up to Cable. I got an HTC Thunderbolt when they were released this past spring and until our area went 4G, I downloaded an app to force it to stay on 3G, so that it wasn't constantly searching for and not finding 4G. I obviously do not need that now, unless I travel somewhere where there is no 4G yet. Also, about a month ago, Verizon/HTC did an over the air update and brought Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt. It is now smoother, faster, and the battery issue that was mentioned in one of the earlier post, is not really an issue any longer.

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Ordering my iPhone 4S tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. Now, which color to get? Black or white......

13. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

If it helps your decision, I've seen a few reports of something like delamination on the white phones. Not very prevalent but there. But nothing at all on the black. I got the black and love it.

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

That's easy, you don't have a vagina so that rules out the white :D

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

The phone was backordered, so I should get it today or tomorrow-whenever I can make it to the store. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy it will be for a droid user to get used to the OS of the iPhone. I may be asking for help from some of you iPhone users if you don't mind.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

16. Spooner

Its really not too bad. Also one of the bookmarks in safari is a guide on how to use the phone that is pretty handy for figuring out a few things that are tricky.

17. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

If you need anything, either post it here or feel free to PM me directly. I had an Inc and Inc2 for years and just got my 4S a couple of weeks ago. Had my wife's 4 to play with before that. I should be able to help you with anything you need.

You'll take to it easily, trust me.

18. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Great story.. although completely false.

19. Spooner

Seriously man, let it go. You act like you invented android or something. There's a lot of us that have had both and I think most of us have no problem admitting the Iphone is much smoother running with fewer problems.

20. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

lol...good for you... well lets hope you never decide to "opt" for even a little change in your OS... cus you are F'ed if you do. Android users, not so much.