1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Guadalajara Mexico?

Discussion in 'General' started by JTW, Dec 10, 2011.

1. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I'm looking at an expat assignment in Guadalajara. Anyone ever live there or have any experience with the area?

Thanks,
    John

2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Got this from my union...

3. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Homie don't do it. :tut: Stay away from that place.

4. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Ok but why?

5. There are a number of US cities that are more dangerous to live in than Guadalajara.

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

7. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Why? Because that place is fucking fucked up. The chances of your American ass getting kidnapped for money or getting killed for your watch is very high. This place is like a lot of Mexico states, dangerous for Americans or even their own citizens. If I were you, I would stay away. Believe me, your family will thank god if you stay away!

8. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

If I was single with no responsibilities AND could make a boat load of dough, I'd do it.

-Snack

9. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Just trying to understand your POV, are you speaking from direct experience or is this based on what you are seeing on the news? Before I travelled to Israel I had one opinion but after I got there I formed a completely different POV.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

OT but is that opinion negative or positive?

11. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

It was negative before going to Israel and then positive after spending some time there.

12. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

I lived 30 minutes North of Juarez for 25 years and steadily saw Mexico degrade. Not sure if that counts as direct experience or not. For example, in college we used to cross the border for cheap eats. Our favorite surf and turf place was shot up with automatic weapons. An anecdote I realize, but they don't discover bulldozer dug trench-graves filled with 100+ bodies in Israel as far as I know. If the statistics surrounding Mexico's level of violence don't speak to you, you are made from different stuff than I.

13. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

what the hell do you do for a livin? arms dealer? aerospace? auto?

14. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong the crime statistics definitely get my attention which is why I'm trying to get some more data points.

15. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Finance in the semiconductor industry

16. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Me and all of the guys I grew up with spent heaps of time in Mex on surf trips. Mainland and Baja.

No one I know will go down there. These aren't easily scared people. These are guys who speak and use direct mexican and spanish slang and are beyond fluent.

None of them will go down there.

This isn't a report on CNN or FOX designed to get ratings. None of the people I know will go down there.

They all say the same thing. It's not like it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago. It's out of control.

None of them will go down there.

I hope that helps.

17. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Ahh, the good ole days in Mazatlan..:D

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I had a 'soft - through a friend' offer to be a civilian contractor in Iraq for triple my yearly salary last month. I did not take it, though had I been pressed to make a choice I would have taken that before the the same assignment anywhere in Mexico not Cancun or Cabo, and even that would have been debatable.

It aint worth it man. Mexico is like 1850's Arizona right now, but with automatic weapons.

19. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

its nuts hearing about all the shit happening down there. There was some cartel that executed some dudes near us a few weeks ago. Like "no country for old men" style. Abandoned vehicles in the middle of the dessert. scary shit.

20. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

They dispose of their executed victims by dissolving their carcasses in drums of acid.

Stay the fuck away. :tut: