1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by H8R, Nov 26, 2011.

1. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I watched the launch to Mars this a.m. Dang I love that shit.

2. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

:rock:

Rockets rock

Nothing like lighting the fuse on $50,000,000 of fuel that's spent in 37 seconds (this statement is pure beeb speculative bs numbers but you get the idea)

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Kesler was there at KSC for the launch. I missed this one.

4. H8R

Kesler Sells Chickens?

:D

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The fuel is actually a relatively small cost. The big cost is in letting cutting edge rocket motors and spaceframes burn up in the atmosphere and fall in the ocean instead of flying them again. I watched it, too, it was bad ass.

Too bad NASA is such a pathetic, underfunded, and risk averse organization, they could've accomplished so much more than they have. The fact that they've had 50+ years to build nuclear powered spacecraft and are still fooling around with these stupid solar panels, RTGs, and chemical rockets for interplanetary spacecraft is amazing, and sad.

6. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

7. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

NASA can't build nuclear spacecraft for the same reason we can't dispose of radioactive material in space. What happens when your nuclear motor blows up at 10k feet over Florida? Bad news for a long time.

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Airbusts are cool. :cool: On the bright side, it's only Florida, not like it's a real loss or anything.

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Not true. NASA has been sending Pu-238 into space for years in the guise of RTGs. Spacecraft with nuclear electric drives lack the power to weight ratio to make orbit and would require launch by chemical rockets, just as spacecraft with large amounts of Pu-238 are launched today. Oceanic launch could also eliminate the possibility of radioactive contamination over populated areas. The reason we abandoned plans for a manned mission to Mars was NASA's failure to continue development of nuclear thermal rocket technology. The fact is that NASA and it's political masters have no balls or vision. A Mars lander is great, but not befitting as the height of interplanetary science for the world's greatest country. Where the fuck is our submarine for the Europan ocean?

10. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Well you know a lot more about it than I do. That's just what I was told when I said why don't we just shoot that crap off into space. I just know we have to be extremely careful with Florida. If something happened where could we hold the coveted daytona 500? If I couldnt watch cars go left in a circle for 4 hours I might actually die!

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How could you tell? :confused: :Poke:

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Not Nasa related, but funding for the Blue Angels might force them to shut down that program. That would be a shame:down:

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

If the Columbia had been nuclear powered...

14. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

As much as I love the Angels that program is a bit of a waste of money.

15. H8R

I would think that Energy falling out of the sky would be a Texan's dream come true.

I'm going to call chunks of fissionable material hitting the ground a win-win, because then Gov. Perry can get more Federal dollars for the cleanup all the while acting like a conservative.

Too bad there isn't some other kind of radiation hitting the ground on a regular basis. *H8R chuckles to himself* I wonder if Gov. Perry would ask for federal dollars for that cleanup as well. :D

16. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Obama spent it all on Solyndra.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

when the shot switches in the posted vid....ehem....at about 140....is that filmed from an aircraft??

awesome on board shots huh? gopro?? haha.

18. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not sure how this helps the esteem of Muslims or global warming :confused:

There is plenty of items with nuclear payloads :beer:

20. H8R

Huh?