1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UFC on FOX

Discussion in 'General' started by H8R, Nov 12, 2011.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

For those complaining about the 'build up', iirc, they've been saying from the start not to blink this could be a quick one. :D

I never thought Dos Santos had one punch KO power before tonight, oh well. It being on the button seemed to help out a lot but he finished him strong on the ground and that's what it's all about folks!

2. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

Well i'd say that fight didn't help the sport much.

I'd guess having it on a easily accessible natinoal channel and not on a pay per view set up, would probably drive in a lot more first time viewers who may be checking out the sport for the first time.

Then that's the show they see.

Something tells me they didn't win over a hole lotta new views with that one! :p

3. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Dos Santos hit Vasquez (sp?) just behind his left ear, therefore throwing Cains equilibrium off, and of course followed Cain to the ground and finished him with strikes.

Cain hadn't fought in about a year, and had torn his rotator cuff when he beat Brock Lesner. He had surgery in January. Even in that short time Cain looked like he hadn't fought in a while.

Believe Dos Santos was slightly injured coming into this fight.

They're both very good MMA fighters! I'd like to see them fight again at a later date when neither has any "ring rust".

4. SpeedyTide

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see the tv ratings, and the "new" viewers thoughts on it. That fight needed to at least go 3 rounds I think!

5. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I remember the Tyson fights. We knew to have our asses on the couch before the bell rang. I'm pretty sure all of Tyson's quick knockouts didn't hurt the sport of boxing.

just my $.02

6. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

Indeed,

But in this case Velaquez was suppose to be Tyson! :p

7. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Dana White is a complete idiot. He bad mouths both fighters post-fight because they didn't fight the fight he wanted. That's why mma is a great sport. On any given day joe shmo can knock out someone who is 30-0.

The funniest thing to me is the fact that they are both known for being finishers, the two fighters that Dana would argue are the best heavyweights in the world...how can you not expect a KO/TKO. If they wanted to give FOX viewers a taste of the UFC, they should have airred more of the card on TV...or shown a GSP fight.

8. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I would rather have a 1 minute fight with a knockout ant day then to appease people who like 3 rounds of holding.

Want to watch holding then watch boxing. You don't see many knockouts in today's boxing ring.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yup.....especially the latter stuff. I think Dana's biggest FAIL was agreeing to air ONE freaking fight!!! WTH was he thinking, especially with those two HW's?!?!? Dana need no blame anyone for that failure.....I kinda agree with the notion that that performance didn't make any life long MMA fans.

10. SpeedyTide

I see your point. If you've watched any of Cain's & Junior's past fights....they haven't been in any kind of boring fights. These two show up & fight.

You are not going to get quick KO/TKO fights all the time. Sometimes there's going to be less than exciting fights.

BTW...this was scheduled to be a 5 round fight. When I mentioned I'd liked to seen at least 3 rounds, you could probably count on these two delivering an exciting fight, and that would've shown the newer fans that tuned in more about MMA. By no means am I saying the UFC lost their chance at the new fans watching because it ended quickly. Basically the newer fans saw a boxing match, and not "mixed martial arts". We, that are already MMA fans, already know what all the sport has to offer.

Like someone else mentioned...too bad the Clay Guida/Ben Henderson fight wasn't shown.

JMO's.

11. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

It was the highest rated MMA fight in the USA ever. It even out drew the Kimbo Slice fight on CBS awhile back. Total peak numbers haven't come out yet....

12. SpeedyTide

13. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

I learned that Roy Nelson has the hardest head/chin in all of the Heavy weight division :)

14. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Unrelated, I saw John McCarthy in the airport in Punta Cana last week.

15. SpeedyTide

I was surprised to see him reffing the main event Saturday night. I figured it would be Herb Dean.

Read earlier he (Big John) has reffed like 463 mma fights since starting in 1993-94 at UFC 2!

16. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

Ya he is an old timer. I own ufc 1-100 and was shocked years ago when I watched and saw him lol.

I do love how Dana tries to keep the ol timers around.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Big John hasn't been with the UFC for a couple years, and has been working with the competition. I forget what the falling out was about. I always thought he should be with the UFC, so I'm glad they worked it out.

It's possible that the UFC owns his contract since they purchased the other org.

18. SpeedyTide

Big John did go away from reffing for a short time, and worked with an MMA show (don't recall the name), and after that didn't work out he began reffing again at other MMA venues. He's actually been back reffing in the UFC for about a year now I believe, although sparingly since he's lost some seniority.... so to speak.

All the refs work for a licensing commission (?), not the actual MMA orgs.

But, Big John and the UFC are synonymous.

19. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

John and his crew were in the dealer when I bought my last street bike. My ? is, why do they call hin "Big" john..the dude is Not that big..:Poke: