1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All knowing beeb....

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

Why do we wind the clocks the wrong way?

When the days get shorter, we shorten them even more. When they get longer we lengthen them.

Wouldnt it make more sense to offset the clocks to keep the days length more uniform?

What is the logic in the way it is done?

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I think many years ago this was all planned out just to mess with people. ;)

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Since there are only 24 hours in one day, we move the clocks forward by one hour during the spring to essentially give us one more hour of day light. My understanding is that it was mainly done for the sake of the farmers. Then in the fall, we make the adjustment back to normal. After all, isn't most of the harvesting already done by now?

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

It is done to give us more time of daylight as said above.

It helps save electricity too, with less bulbs on.

They have to move forward now so it wont be as dark by the time people wake up.

And harvesting season is not over yet, at least not here (illinois) but it is about too.

5. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Really wish they would just leave it alone one way or the other.....

6. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

We dont do shit with our clocks here in arizona, but you fuckers go changing shit twice a year makes us confused.

7. GA_SVS

GA_SVS Define "normal"

The 808 state has it right...

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Do they grow anything in Arizona? Well... Anything not under grow lamps? :Poke:

9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yep...cactus :crackup:

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:confused:Farmers worry about the clock?

11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Sure. You know, farming is a business, right? Well, when do you suppose they'd have time for all the other stuff that businesses do if they had to wait for the clock to come to them.

Hmm? Now you made me go research it via http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

It seems it may actually be detrimental to farmers, so now I really don't know.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  12. The CHAD

The CHAD Well-Known Member

I just do not get it I guess... The sun is only up a certain amount of time no matter what... Can the farmers not adjust their sleep time accordingly without having to screw up the rest of us! ;)

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Not to switch sides all of the sudden here, but it would appear it was everyone else that wanted more daylight after their working hours that brought this about.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Change opening times.

15. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Interesting. I'm glad my cell phone changes itself. lol

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i'm sorry, i'm having difficulty understanding how we, by changing the time on a clock, can lengthen or shorten a day.

does the sun give a shit what time it is? no, it's always shining.
    does the earth's changing seasons care what time it is? no, they progress in a steady fashion, year in and year out.

our earth's tilted axis in relation to the sun dictates the length of the day. our changing a clock can't shift the orientation of that axis to the sun...it's just not possible.

so i ask, what are you people goin' on about?

well?
    :confused:

17. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Yeah and I travel to go work there every other week...imagine how fucked up I get...even though it's only an hour, I already have a hard enough time with my hours and days and travel....:rolleyes:

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I was entertained a couple of years ago driving through NM, AZ, CO, and UT. It seems that in the areas that do observe DST, the reservations do not. So if a cell tower is on reservation land, it coordinates to non-DST.

The time on my phone was switching back and forth several times a day.

19. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

It didn't bother me when I was younger, but now that I'm older. It really messes with my head. I actually think I have a small amount of seasonal depression. Thanksgiving through New Year's is a tough time for me. It just gets dark too early. It's freaking dark at 4:30 pm here in NJ.:down:

I'm originally from Guatemala and I don't remember changing clocks or anything like that. It always gets dark around the same time year round. If I remember correctly 7pm every day.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Guatemala is a lot closer to the equator than NJ. There is not as much variation in daylight hours.