1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dunlop Not-Quite-Superbike Slicks

Discussion in 'General' started by LWGP, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

Dunlop put out this press release recently:

http://dunlopracing.com/dunlop-announces-release-of-usa-made-racing-slicks/

Looks like their version of the Pirelli Superbike Pro Slicks - aimed at club racers and trackday riders.

Does anyone know anything about these tires? Pricing? The press release claims that riders achieved similar lap times to the UK made slicks. Do you think these will be better than GP211s? The same, just with no tread? Are warmers required/recommended? Any conjecture on how they will perform relative to the Bridgestone r10s?

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Pricing is on the dunlop website. 269 for the rear. No fronts are available ATM.

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I have been on these tires off and on for well over a year (well at least the rears). I didn't try the slick front until this summer. Honestly, they are VERY impressive and for the cost difference, I think they are a perfect option when DOTs are not necessary. The 200/55 US slick is a great tire in the soft or med compound (I have not tried the hard).

Last year, I ran several of the rears and often back to back with the UK slicks or 200 DOT and in some cases turned faster laps with the US slick rear. In other cases, they were very much on par with the UK rears.

Give them a try.

4. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

My $.02 ...... 99% of club guys couldn't extract the extra performance of the UK tire...might as well save the cash

BEI has been killin it on them in the Wera Endurance stuff.

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

From what I understand, this is Dunlop US's attempt at fully replicating the UK NTec slick.
    It is not meant to be a lesser-performance option for trackday riders. It's meant to be a cheaper alternative to the pricey UK slicks, but maintain that same level of performance. Or so I hear anyway. :)

I've been hearing good things about them. Very good things. I hope they can also improve the GPA DOTs to be on par, performance-wise, with the UK DOTs.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Too bad they don't make them for anything less than a 180.

7. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

yeah, with the 250s fading out in favor of 600s, LW guys are left on an island. Maybe the Moto 3 bikes will nudge dunlop (they are the spec tire for moto3, right?) to create a super-awesome 150/160 sized slick?

8. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

I only said that because the press release says "created primarily for club-level racers and hard-core enthusiasts who enjoy participating in track days."

frankly, I don't see the need for DOT race tires anymore. When slicks are the same price, why prohibit them from being used in SS classes? Its not like SS racers are heading out in the rain on DOTs because "they have some tread".

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

$269 for the rear alone?

For a trackday?

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^word. I can't believe the shipping and customs of the UK tires was only $50 per tire.

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

so im guessing the only size theyre offering the new slick in is the 200?

12. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:stupid:

How long should the tires last I wonder. If you can get enough out of them, including the heat cycles they will be going through, the price could be doable.

But with the Qualifiers out there, those are some pretty good tires too.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

from everything i was hearing about the new American made slicks several months before Dunlop made this announcement was, its a full on race tire made to compete with the NTEC's without the UK price. It looks like Dunlop, IMO, made a "marketing" mistake by wording it the way they did.

14. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

I'll say that being involved with the testing of the tire it's very good and 50 bucks cheaper than the UK version that may not be available forever. The durability has been outstanding as well. We have had several guys ,top guys and trackday guys use them with no issues at all. I would for sure try them then make your own call otherwise its pure speculation :)

15. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

I ran Dunlop’s new KR449 rear slick in a med. compound on my liter bike at Tally last weekend. Put it on Sat. morning and did one practice and then the solo 20…..so about 35 laps and not really at a sprint race pace 03-04’s just trying to get some track time……the tire seemed to hook up as well as the UK slicks….only spun it up bad once coming out of farmhouse turn……..But the left side of the tire is gone with no dimples left at all…..so I don’t think I got the life out of the tire that I am used to getting on the UK 6680 rear…..but maybe that’s the $50 less in cost.

16. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

All I gotta say is to try that with those other brands and let me know how it works out for ya;)

17. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Did 2 practice sesons and Raced 3 sprints on a new UK 211 soft rear at a faster pace on Sunday and the tire still has a track day left in it.... I was just disapointed that the American Slick did not hold up as well..

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, but look at the next sentence

"The end result is a tire built in America that is competitive at all levels, including competitive pricing and race-winning performance."

"The KR449 rear 190/55R17 and 200/55R17 tires will be available in three compound combinations"

19. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Would anyone here race in the Non SS class races with the Pirelli Superbike Pro Slicks?
    from what I was told there are guys who mainly use the rear for racing and even advance trackdays and run the regular Race tires up front.

The grey area for me is this.
    If they say trackday tire, and you have a Advance TD guy say turning 1:17's on them at Summit and a Nov racer turning 1:20's on them...they should be good for the Novice to race with right?

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I dunno, the feedback I've heard on the tires is no, they wouldn't run them to race in anything other than an endurance race, not in a sprint race.