1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper to BSB?!

Discussion in 'General' started by GSVR 946, Dec 8, 2010.

1. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

JU, I may be old and gutted like a trout but I have full range of motion in the wrist that matters.

Just thought you might want to know. Give CU my best.

2. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

In that same "know your audience" aspect, the guy just screwed over one of the most influential people in motorcycle racing which didn't go unnoticed by blogs, etc. The racing community probably won't forget that before too long. That portion of the "audience" is a pretty tight knit community.

And it's Your, not you're.

3. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Absolutely, but that won't stop kids from drinking Monster, hell it probably makes them like him more, dumbasses. Know you're audience so Your company makes mad stacks of phat cash. :D

4. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

This is the part that would tear me up inside personally. Realistically, Hopper wouldn't have enjoyed ANY of his success without your interaction and support, and to have him effectively throw it all in your face sucks. While not on this scale by any stretch, I've been down this road with former friends, and it just kills you inside.

To me, this is the kind of BS that everyone involved in the sport needs to be aware of. Not from a gossip sort of view, but from a 'this guy will lie to your face and fuck you in front of your peers, so be wary if you decide to get in business with him' kind of thing. Seems to me there's already enough money leaving the sport that you don't need riders assisting it with shitty behavior like this.

5. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

+1

A little off topic, but I think in the past, many riders looked at sponsors as just a $ sign, paycheck, discount, etc. I know there's exceptions to the rule, but why not find brands/products you really respect and commit to them. If they can't offer a big paycheck, think outside the typical sponsorship program and figure out some way that benefits both of you.

I'd like to see more bartering and mutually beneficial relationships formed between top level riders down to club racing. Myself included.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Not to keep this train wreck of a thread going on any longer than it has to, but everyone ask your self a serious question, and really it only applies to those of us who love our jobs.

Say you're injured while at work. You take a few months off to heal up and you're pretty sure you're ready to get back on the job. Meanwhile you love what you're doing for work, but you're not too keen on your boss or your environment, so you look for a new job doing the same thing.

Then, you get a call or you call your old friend who helped you get started in the business you're in and he's got a job opening for you. He asks if you're fully fit and able to perform the job at hand. Keep in mind you love your job, and now you have the chance to do it for an old friend who you're comfortable working with. The only hang up is you are having some wrist troubles, which you think could get better, or even require a minor fix up, possibly not knowing ahead of time the actual problems/surgical implications with your wrists.

Do you tell your friend/new boss you might not be able to cut it and have to go find work for some one you don't know, on equipment you don't yet trust?

Or, do you in good faith tell your friend/new boss that you are able to perform.

Again I don't know how it went down, but me personally, I don't know if I could tell a prospective employer if I had an injury that might, not definitely, but might keep me from performing 100% if I thought it may be one of the only chances I could get at working for a place I know to be of good quality and working for a friend.

Would it make it okay? Well, no... But sometimes the brain takes a back seat to the heart when it's something you really care about, especially when friends are involved.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

You don't lie to your friends. EVER. Even if its not the answer they want to hear, you tell them the truth. What Hopper SHOULD have done was tell JU "You know.. my wrist is jacked up.. but I think I can be fit in time to make things work" and see where the chips fall. You can only burn a bridge once generally.

8. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Active Member

After reading all the posts I could fine about this mess, my bet is that the ride would have happened anyway, but that the deal would have been different on the money side. Also what I read and heard on the radio said that Hopper and his agent came to the team, the team didn't go looking to reunite with him.

9. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Active Member

Isn't the quote above, the definition of bad faith? You got less than 10 degrees of wrist motion but say you're ready to win and then sign a contract to take the money they offered for a guy who was ready to win?

10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Fixed, IMO. Reminds me of the saying, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than to be loved for who I am not" But that's me.

11. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

maybe im just getting old....for the record i have never had a large skin or monster sticker on my truck.:tut:

12. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Being that I haven't been in that situation I can only really offer a devil's advocate approach to the whole mess. I will always hope that some one with the bad luck Hopper has had will some day find a turning point.

I totally agree that being up front and honest is the best approach, but I can also understand the difficulties involved in such a dilemma!

Fwiw, I'm a trustworthy person :D Do you remember meeting me, Clint at the Indy GP this year? Upon meeting your family, your wife introduced herself by asking me if I considered myself a trustworthy person. I often wonder if anyone ever answers no to a question like that.

Anyway, thanks again for the paddock experience. I saw Draik is doing a Wera season in 2011. Here's to you all having a great time and best of luck!:beer: If I'm close to the mid central region I'll try to drop in at
    one of the rounds.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  13. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Paul Denning and Hopper=Team Desperation?

15. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Well sir, you did prove to be a trustworthy person. We were happy to let you enjoy some time there too. Hope you and your family are doing well. Keep in touch! Looking forward to seeing you and your boy again too.

16. 2SickRacing

2SickRacing Well-Known Member

SERIOULSY so many!

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Hey 2Fer...Is it getting close to pay up time? :D

18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Nah, he's only at somewhere around 40% right now. :Poke:

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

poll position in FP 2 now, Man Simon BACKMARKER is going to have to eat his words, but that is nothing new for him along with other things he must gobble:crackup:

20. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

It'd be nice to see him win, I think it would really make sure that he gets to do the last three GP's as well this year and get him back in GP next year.