1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physically impossible

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dieselboy, May 7, 2011.

1. To get this tire on. Is there an easier way to do this? Just seems like there's no way this thing's gettin on.

[​IMG]

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Push the tire bead down off of the edge of the rim, and use some lube.

3. Used lube, wouldn't pushing the bead down make it more difficult to get on?

4. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Pushing the bead down will make it easier since there is more room for the tire to pull into the rim than where it is on the edge.

5. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

you need more lube(like tons) that thing is dry as hell, especially on the rubbing surface of the mount bar adn you really need the bead pushed down into the drop center of the rim like they said,

6. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Lube the drop center and push down the left side of the tire all of the way around as you work the bar around the circle. And buy a nomar.

7. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Pull the bottom bead toward the center as well. The center of the wheel has a smaller diameter than where the bead of the tire sits. Pushing the bead on both sides of the tire towards the center of the wheel allows the tire to have enough room to stretch over the edge of the wheel.

8. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

WOW

STOP! Your going to bend your rim and or damage the tire. :eek: The opposite side of the tire from where your trying to work needs to be OFF the outside lip of the rim. I placed arrows on your picture showing where your going wrong. That side of the tire needs to be collapsed into the middle of the rim before proceeding. You can accomplish this by using wedges, which is what I do (cut out of wood), or just by holding it down with your hand. You can use all the LUBE in the world but if the back side of the tire is not removed from the outer lip of the rim it is next to impossible to mount without damaging something. Once you learn the technique, you can change a tire in about (5) minutes with that exact setup you have.:up:

Attached Files:

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The tire is not designed to stretch and fit over the rim, the part of the tire already on the rim HAS to be in the drop of the rim or it won't go on. If you get it on in this manner, congratulation you just effed up a tire.

10. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

follow how this guy is doing it, is the same set up you have.....
    http://youtu.be/t_34kAlZALg

then get your self a no mar or noscufftiretool, I got my self the one at noscufftiretool.com :up:

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yes you need to push the bead down where it says battlax and as far around as you can get it into the drop center of the wheel. The bead is made of wire rope and you wont stretch it at all as someone already mentioned. I would mount it on your axle after you get it on and make sure you didnt bend your rim before you go through and balance it all up.

12. Thanks for the advice guys, first time doing this myself so I figured my technique was wrong.

13. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

A guy I know broke the bead completely on a brand new tire trying to mount it by hand. Dont try to force it.

14. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Once you figure it out, it is easy! :beer:

15. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

A wise man once told me...

You only need to be a little smarter than the tire!

16. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Push the tire down into the valley in the rim. I highly recommend the yellow thing from no mar instead of the screwdriver. I also like the no mar or mojo bar vs the harbor freight bar. Lube the shit of the inside wall of the tire that needs to be levered over the rim. Warm tires are much easier to work even with poor technique. If that is a new bridgestone I feel your pain. More trouble than the Dunlop slicks I have.

17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Holy shit is that a Trek 950 on the right? I used to bang a chick who had one of those!

18. glenfeld

glenfeld Middle-age crazy

Wow, a dull post till Plarp weighed in - LOL.
    Was she the one with the beard?

Tire mounting - please throw the Harbor bar away and get the mojo or nomar and use the no-mar tire lube. "They' say that Ru-glyde will cause a tire to spin on a rim.

Besides, the No-Mar lube can 'lube' up other things, right Plarp?

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Been using Ru-glyde for 30-odd years w/o tire slippage.

20. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Yup, what they said. I lube the wheel in the middle of the rim (drop center) with the NoMar paste, as well as the edge of the tire where the mounting bar is in contact. The opposite side from where you're working must stay pushed down in the drop center. If I'm having trouble, I stop and put on more lube. NoMar has, I think, some videos on their site. They're geared towards their changer, but some of the techniques will apply.