I'm getting back on the track and need to borrow some boots n' other stuff....

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkB, Apr 12, 2011.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Mark, Lets see some vids fool!!!!

2. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

Love your gear!! They hooked u up with the good shit!!! CONGRATS!

3. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Damn, this shit rocks! def a feel good story for sure. congrats!

4. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

congrats Mark...anyone else have a trackside report on how the day went?

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Great seeing you again Mark!!! Especially on 2... You did great Man!!! This AM when you told me about the relay issue I was like WTF?? No way we can keep that from making it happen... Glad you guys got it worked out... What a great weekend....

Marc

6. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

videos are up on my facebook page. it was incredible to see mark ride again. the guys at the duc shop,stt,stg......and others im sure, made marks day possible. big ups to them. it was an awesome day to be a part of.

7. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

8. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Just incredible. Good for you guys.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'd love to see this, youtube link to my PM please.
    Congrats Mark & all who were a part of this.

10. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

No facebook, so let us know if you post up the video elsewhere-Thanks

Congrats Mark!

11. Ogre66

Ogre66 Well-Known Member

Mark, it was a privilege being out on the track with you. I was out just plain clothes patrolling during your last session and came up behind you and Van and just settled in behind to watch (and monitor for rude passers). It was just awesome to watch you go out there!!!!
    Folks, Mark was rolling great out there, especially for using only 3rd gear for that session. Truly inspirational to see and a few laps on the track that I will not soon forget!
    Look forward to seeing you out there again soon!!

12. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

I'm exhausted from the weekend (and back at work trying to keep it together......reminds me of old days lol), but I just want to jump in and say what a BLAST that was.

It all looked headed for disaster. The shifter failed, and was then fixed by Mark (Sutton of Ducshop). It then failed a second time (fatally this time) just as I was about to take to the track.

There I was sat in brand new donated leathers, surrounded by helpers, well-wishers, family, cam-corders, cameras etc....and a bike that would not shift. I felt......so disappointed.

I spoke with Brian Van, who had given me most of my gear. “What about 3rd gear?” I knew what he was talking about. I had discussed this with Mark earlier. If I could get the thing to start in first on the clutch, then maybe I could ride around just in one gear?

Sometime I consider the pro’s and con’s of decisions too much. This was not one of those times. We got the bike onto pit lane, I suited up and was helped onto the bike. Mark shifted it by hand into 3rd and they pushed me off.

Almost immediately this felt like a bad idea. I felt removed from the bike. I only had my hands to control it, the rest of my body was as dead to me as the bike. The engine bogged and it wanted to stall; I feathered the clutch trying to keep it running, all the while trying to maintain balance and aim for the narrow pit exit, as it disappeared down a hill to the left.

I threaded the bike between the barriers and hit the track, which was live. I eased onto the outside of the track and twisted the throttle. As I started to pick up speed, the engine started to open up and reach its comfortable power for 3rd. The added speed settled the bike too. I felt gradually less out of control and better able to balance the bike with my inputs through the bars. This, it now seemed, might just work out fine.

The thought did strike me that I was now on essentially an unmodified bike; I had no outriggers, no thumb shifter, stock footpegs and that was pretty much it. Here I was on a racetrack doing well over 100mph with no direct control over anything below my armpits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ....errrr...can I have the chair back please honey.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  13. MarkB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can never thank enough Mark from the Ducshop, for everything he did, especially once at the track, in order to try to get the POS shifter to work. The other main people to thank are Wendy from Ducshop, Brian Vann from sportbiketrackgear.com as well as TJ from ridersdiscount. Skip for being Skip.....also Lee McCurdy for the photographs he took and a brand new Baxley stand, that I plan to use in future attempts. And I cannot forget my wife Sam, as well as my parents and sister back in the UK. I know I tested their nerves at times.

AND a BIG thanks to just everyone who has said anything to me....so many people coming up to me all weekend, and on this thread......I miss that after 4 years away. What a community.....(except DaveK of course...that guy.....)

The plan next is to fix that damn shifter and go back. I want to ride a track with the full benefit of all the gears. And then we will see. One of those swing arms attached to the bike would be nice…..we will see….for now I am just buzzing from one of the best days I’ve had in four years. Aside from my wedding day, obviously. Thanks again everyone :beer:

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  14. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

This is gonna sound really gay but I am wiping tears from my eyes.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're right.

Totally gay.

Mark, you have huge balls. My ass would have been in the bucket seat of a kart.

16. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

glad u had a blast Mark:beer:

17. MarkB

Here's the POS Pingel....

[​IMG]

dear oh dear....

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Mark, you're a star and a inspiration. :beer:

19. MarkB

Thank Papa.....I'd do the kart thing but....I already got the bike, so....:) A Kart would be so much faster tho....

20. MarkB

Crap...wanted to get this pic in too.....but I gave bad link....

[​IMG]

That's my wife that is....