1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WERA Classifieds Site Launched

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Mongo, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edchung

edchung Member

Just a suggestion: I'd like to see weraclassifieds.com force credit cards for payment.

I feel like forcing sellers to give up their address for credit card verification reduces the chances that I'm dealing with scammers, or at least makes them traceable. I'm not saying WERA should police sales - but if someone steals $5000 and a police report gets filed, I have a financial party (i.e. Visa) to start my trace with.

(But I know it's a lot of administrative overhead for you to setup, so I certainly won't hold it against you if this doesn't happen until 2012.)

2. 4literranger485

4literranger485 gold member

only cares about wera customers

pretends to care about the sport as a whole

you sure do like to change your mind a lot huh? :Poke:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Awww, are you truly that butthurt that I'm going to make you pay to sell your bikes? Seriously?

Try reading all the words, they are not mutually exclusive. I can be concerned about WERA and try to help the sport at the same time.

But of course by selling some shit on here and hitting a couple track days you know more about the business and sport than I do....

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know, there's always the option of you setting up your own BBS with a free to use classified section, right? I'm sure the web host will provide the space and use of their services free because you're doing it for the good of all.

5. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

is your decision completely made up about the format? i think the simplicity of the current system is what works so well. also, you can do some digging if the seller posts his first part for sale by his other posts... kinda feel them out. i feel like the new site is opening the door to more anonymity, more fake users, and more untrustworthy sellers.

if you wanna make a few bucks, i completely understand (not like you needed my approval haha). but don't think that by charging for classifieds, you're limiting the sellers to only WERA racers... you're limiting it to people that are willing to pay, that's all.

that being said, here's what i'm getting at. i know for a fact that it's very easy to incorporate memberships into a vbulletin site - it's also very easy to allow only the people with a paid membership to post in certain sections (like the classifieds). the system manages itself (in terms of payments and renewing memberships) and the beloved format stays the same. it would also keep the wera classifieds the promotional asset it already is. for what it's worth, i was drawn here by the classifieds... then i realized there's a bunch of good info for racers so i stuck around... then i realized you guys race at barber. now i'm heading down there this season from chicago. :D

i would be comfortable paying up to $50 for a yearly membership within the current vbulletin format, and there's no way i'd post as many as 50 ads on the other site. i hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, i'm really just trying to help... whether you wanted my opinion or not haha

6. 4literranger485

finally we've come to an agreement! i'll probably just buy stuff for my bikes still :crackup:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, just like this was in the beginning it will evolve as we go along. It isn't any more open to anonymity or scammers than this is so not sure what your point is there.

Don't want to limit it to just WERA racers.

Yes it is easy to combine things like that. However we don't want to limit it to just members. We don't want to charge a flat rate because if you sell more you should pay more. If you're a racer just selling one bike at the end of the season you should pay less.

I do appreciate the input even if I may not agree with specific things. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're not going to stand behind your beliefs and not use the horrible site we've created to show us how wrong we are?

Somehow not surprised....

9. 4literranger485

nope, i'll buy from it all day! but i won't give you any of my money until you cater me my beer and food!

10. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Mongo,

First, I have no problem with the concept of paying to advertise. You have to do what suits your business model and pays the bills.

Second, would it be possible to pay an annual fee instead of a per post fee?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  11. snowbizx

i guess my point is that people are weary of sellers posting an item with 0 posts on the board. but with the new site, there will be a lot of "new" sellers popping up for a long time now. in the past, you can do a bit of a background check. if someone has a few posts around the board where they've asked a few race related questions, you had a little more comfort doing business with them. however, under the new format, it'll just be another new seller with no previous sales.

i see your point, and i think there's a way to address that. memberships can range in length, so maybe you can offer a $10 month-long (or even day-long, just to get the bike posted) membership to those who only have either a bike to sell at the end of the season or a box of parts they need to get rid of - and also include a $50 membership option for the year.

the best part is if you set it up so that paid members are the only ones that start threads, but everyone could reply - to ask questions and such.

i dunno, these boards are such a great resource on either end... buying and selling. it kinda sucks to think that it might not be as useful as it was in the past.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We had to do the same stuff when this started, it'll work out soon enough.

The membership as you have them set out would be hugely labor intensive and honestly I don't see an upside for anyone except those who are using our classified to run a business. If they're running a business that is getting a lot of income here then we would like some of that income. Pretty simple - use more, pay more. Use less, pay less. Not sure how use more pay less makes sense to anyone except those who want something for nothing....

13. snowbizx

fair enough. one more thing... is listing your address required? i really don't want everyone knowing the exact location of my bike and everything that's on it.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

The only thing that would suck is if the new format isn't as popular as the current one. There is some good stuff that comes through here.

$10 to sell a bike, I can live with that. Also the life long classified only posters, who essentially spam the parts section, will at least help WERA out a little. Like the search options too.

Last but not least, if you get banned from the BBS you can still sell your shit. :D

15. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

this is where it would be nice to be tied in with the current bbs username. Because most guys selling stuff only sell things once in a while unless they are running a business so will never get much of a post count. Hopefully most people will use their same username then we can see what kind of posts they have on here before committing to buy stuff.

16. BenG

BenG Active Member

''.

:bow:........... I haven't raced with WERA yet, it is great organization and you do a great job with this site, this is more than reasonable, where do I pay .......... :up: BG

17. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I can't help but notice the watermark in your avatar. When I purchase pictures from the trackside photographer, they don't come with that. If I view them online, they do. I will speculate that you just screen captured that from the photographers website instead of paying for it. This would be corroborated by your very vocal admittance of refusal to pay for things.

18. snowbizx

never mind. i see it's not a required field.

19. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

haha

20. arshishb1

arshishb1 Well-Known Member

I am definitely going to miss the PMs :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.