1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WERA Classifieds Site Launched

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Mongo, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Well that works for me. Thanks for clarifying

2. dbarufaldi

dbarufaldi Active Member

I embrace the idea, and hope it takes off. The old classifieds worked very well for me, and is where I have been looking daily for this year's trackbike.

Only suggestion I make is you may want to take the open ads on this site and migrate them for a couple weeks to the new one. I just signed on and there are (0) ads so far...might give the site a little jump start in traffic if there was some built-in product. It could expire in short order, and you'd have some built in "renewals" hopefully.

Good luck with it.

Dan B

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Three listing there now. Did you check out the twitter and facebook portions also?

A lot of bang for your $.99 don't ya' think? :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also - because we are still based on helping racers get out there - Wanted ads are free.

5. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

i was just about to ask about wtb's.

so if you post a wtb and someone wants to contact you, they have to complete the contact section and its all done via email?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Why not only allow current WERA license holders access to the classifieds?

8. mavrik82

mavrik82 Well-Known Member

OK, I've got a slightly different take. I actually like it. I haven't done a for sale yet but have bought a shit ton of stuff for my race bike here. Living in Albany NY I am a CCS racer, and not WERA. I now feel like I can come here and sell or buy without having to pull my brim down over my eyes because by selling or shopping here, I help to support WERA. The internet has gotten evryone spoiled with free info and a huge source for buying and selling. 20 yrs ago if you wanted to sell race parts you'd have had to drag them to the track. It's a buck. Add a dollar to everything you sell. Paypal nails you for 3%?
    Good luck with it, it IS the best bike classifieds on the web, and thanks for having helped me as much as you have already guys!

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Great idea that was long overdue.

10. dbarufaldi

dbarufaldi Active Member

I don't understand what the upside of doing that would be?

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You'd be working backwards then wouldnt you? Look how many users there are, most are not WERA members i'd guess. With the pay per post thing you'd lose a ton of that "revenue" that they will now be getting which is going to affect WERA members directly. Less people, less parts, less revenue from posts, etc.

12. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

As a frequent lurker/buyer and non-racer I think it's a good move. Thanks for keeping want ads free and the cost of listing insignificant. Looking forward to seeing how feedback works and the social networking bit is pretty cool. Good luck fellas. :up:

13. TarzanMan

TarzanMan Well-Known Member

Lol. Not a very broad thinker or long-term thinker, are you?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because we like it being open to all racers everywhere even if they can't run with us for whatever reason. Weird as it is, we are in this whole gig for the sport as a whole. We just have to make sure we watch our bottom line so we can stay here for another 38 years.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Giving away something of value devalues it and does nothing for the business. Basic business 101. The advertising value of the classifieds just aren't offset by the work/server space/everything they use.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure but you'd better ask for the money you spent on your elementary school education back.

Let's read the following together, out loud, 'kay? If we lose the members who are only here to sell items, have never raced WERA and will never attend a WERA event, where's the downside to that? They are making money off of WERA and giving NOTHING back.

Did it make sense this time? Catch the nevers in there? They add quite a bit to the statement don't they?

17. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

I don't care one way or the other. However, internet advertising is about click throughs and page views. If you charge and your click throughs drop by 80% you may lose some of your paying advertisers or they won't be willing to pay as much for ads. If the click throughs stay high, the $.99/9.99 may be worth it.

So that is the potential downside. You are getting the click through hits from those people that have never raced. Your vendors sell to those people and are advertising to them.

Just a thought.

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The Facebook thing is pretty cool. Actually, it's very cool. For peeps that have the FB apps on their smartphone, it's pretty dang easy just to go and search it on the run without having to log into the BBS.

So which would suck less? Having to pay a buck to use the classifieds? OR Not having a classifieds section at all?

Thought so..;)

19. 09bamaR6

09bamaR6 Well-Known Member

I kind of have mixed feelings about it, but it is what it is. Chances are it will deter some non-WERA sellers and members from posting a part we potentially need. But it does help the sport/club I guess. Hopefully it stays as busy as it was. In current times, even a dollar will be a reason for some people to stay away.

Just my .02

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Look at our advertisers. They advertise to racers. The racers will still come here. Just as they did before the classifieds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.