1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's switching to Dunlop NTech's In 2011

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Oct 19, 2010.

1. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Yes, her name is Matty:crackup:

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

can a chic stop working on my suspension then?? :Poke:

3. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

:wow:.....Oh snap!!!

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

A D211? I had no idea. I work with more riders on Pirellis than anything else, but I've never seen a 180 Dunlop race tire. I stand corrected.

5. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

You mean START working on it, right? That's all we ever do with your stuff cuz you are a fast guy wo wants what he wants. Love it!

Now back to the topic at hand, Firm believer in NTECH's. For me it is the confidence. Although there are probably a hundred more photos like the ones I posted with riders starting to fold the front on ANY tire, in that photo I felt the front folding but the Ntech just wouldn't let it go and that's how that front dunlop Ntech treats me everytime(so far). But it gives me what I need to ride reasonably fast and feel confident.:up: That is worth the extra few bucks and the front lasts forever.

Kent pretty much wrapped it up so in short, +1 to Kent.

6. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

nope, just in the slicks.

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

What was the date code though? AFAIK, Dunlop hasn't made 180s in any form recently. Check their site.

8. metricdevilmoto

That's what I thought as well. Whenever I deal with Dunlop, I deal with RTS, and I've never even heard mention of a 180.

Maybe it's some UK tire not readily available in the states?

9. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Very interesting thread! Mike I totally can see your logic about the psychological aspect in racing and if the fast guys use Shinko's everyelse would follow..lol. I also believe that you need to understand basic set up and match that to your brand of tires. However, I think about 75% of the paddock don't have their bike's suspension tuned 100% correct for the maximum use of the tire?

I noticed my teammate always chasing set up from the vendors at different tracks. Since we are in the Mid Atlantic/N. East /N. Central, the same vendors are not at every track. I noticed different professionals giving him completely different advice and set up, spring rates, fluid levels and ride heights. Point being, I guess everyone has a different type of feel they like and ride height they prefer and what tracks they are at.

I rode Pirelli's one year and they tore all the time probably from suspension issues or temperature. Switched to B-Stones which were good tires but slide around and spun up for me. This year I rode Michelin and really like them but noticed that when I'm in a corner, i can't get on the gas as much as the people in front of me on Dunlop because I feel like I'm going to loose it. I could actually see the person in front of me really rolling on the throttle.

At this point, it's a toss up for me and I really appreciate everyone's input from this thread! :up: I did ride the 209's from early last year and I thought they were horrible tires but that's just my opinion. Maybe it's that point in my racing stint where I actually pay for someone to help me for a day or two to really understand suspension and tire combo's and get a better understanding.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. metricdevilmoto

A lot of the time (and I'm not saying this applies to you specifically) I see riders making tire changes to solve a problem they are having, but the problem is with the setup, not the tires. So maybe they go to Brand X because they were having issues with Brand Y. Their bike wasn't set up correctly on Brand Y, but the setup works better with Brand X. So it appears as though the tire solved the problem.

Plus, there are certain setups that are so widely used that the info is readily available and accessible that it has been fine tunes to work well. If you're on a very common setup like an R6 with an Ohlins 25 or 30 mil kit with the right valving and a TTX with the right valving and running Dunlops, there are a lot of very fast riders out there working with tuners who have great baseline settings. They will vary somewhat from track to track and rider to rider, but it will get you in the right neighborhood right off the bat.

You're going faster, so you're doing something right. But, as you get faster, things like setup and tire selection will become more and more critical. Good luck with whatever brand you end up on.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed completely.

Pick a suspension tuner and stick with him. It's good to get tire vendors' advice, but nothing is the same as someone who deals with suspension. You can get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Find someone and work with them throughout the season. You'll find stuff that doesn't work, but throughout that, you'll learn and figure out stuff that does. Getting new advice from new people every weekend can clutter the process. It's about filtering the information coming in and applying it to your specific situation.

12. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

i'lll check the date this evening, i still have a few here.
    i know the site shows nothing and i was shocked when paul had a 180 for me.

13. RollieManollie

Serioulsy, that's what I was kind of thinking/leaning too and couldn't have said it any better. :up:

Looks like I gotta get a suspension guy. I think I maybe turned my compression or rebound two or three turns the either way the entire year with all the tracks I went to. Yank, Chiefwildman and Palmer's girlfriend is all I had this year for suspension advice...lol!:beer:

14. RollieManollie

Sounds like accountants!:D

Good advice guys and I appreciate it!:up:

15. got40

got40 On hiatus...

:stupid:

Well said. I'd also agree with the previous post that most ppl in the paddock do not have the bike set up for the tires. Dunlop's uber stiff carcass will give at least decent grip on just about anything with practically no thought put into it. but without setting the bike up, you never know what's been left on the table.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Or maybe Dunlop just builds a better tire. :D

17. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

Talking setup. Is there usually a spring change to take advantage of the Dunlop's stiff carcas vs. a softer carcas like the Michelin?

18. 418

418 Expert #59

The reason the Dunlops have stiff carcass is because of the absurd low tire pressures you run in the rear tire. So although it is stiff when you're putting the tire on, I don't know how that translates feel wise in real life compared to other tires. To me the tires feel pretty soft, compliant neither overly mushy nor hard.

For your question, not sure on the answer on that. Not sure if there would be a difference.

19. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

fixafied

20. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

metricdevil600 is a suspension guy... a good one at that:up: