3/4 ton vs 1 ton

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Is more truck better?

I am about to buy a GMC Diesel and wondering if I should stick with a 3/4 ton or get a 1 ton (single wheel, not a Dually). Is it a case of "more is better" and if im going to get one, i might as well get a 1 ton? Or is a 1 ton overkill?

The biggest/heaviest thing i will be pulling will be a Toy Hauler and it won't be over 28-30' or so.

How does gas mileage compare between the 2?

Longevity?

2. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Get the big one. Better for loading and towing.

3. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

If you aren't towing all the time then just get the 3/4 ton you'll save on gas. If you are towing 80% or more of the time then i'd go with the 1 ton. 28-30' trailer isn't anything for either one of those trucks to pull.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Chris, we have a 09 GMC 3/4 Duramax as a work truck. It's a great truck. Hwy it gets about 22-23mpg, with my little 6x12 behind it, it will get about 16mpg and with my dads 28ft trailer, loaded with a car, tools and 4 guys it gets about 11mpg. But it will pull anything.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I want to say the difference between a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton is one extra leaf spring and maybe larger brakes. Otherwise it is the same frame, tires, and axle.

6. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

:stupid:

Heavier payload and axle loading capacity.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I agree with the previous posts. My 3/4 ton GMC duramax is like a semi. I can't imagine needing anything bigger for towing. What is the cost difference?

8. Racer45

either way they're too expensive :D

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3/4 tons usually have a taller gear ratio than 1-tons, too, saving you a little on the MPG's. My '01 Ram 2500 had 3.55 with an option for 3.73, my '03 Ram 3500 has 3.73 with an option for 4.10.

10. Racer45

I'll have to check. I think our 3/4 has a 4.10

Just checked, 3.73 is standard, but think ours has the 4.10

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Well, there is that but damn, for towing there is no substitute. I actually bought mine from a friend. It was a year old, had 40K something on it and I paid in the low 20's.....and the truck was loaded with pretty much every option you could get on them at the time. I'd buy it again in a heart beat.

12. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

My Chevy 3/4 diesel has 3.73's.... I tow a 28 foot race trailer loaded down two weekends a month. I wish I had 3.55 or 3.42's in it.

It rides ok unloaded...but when i put the trailer behind it the ride get really smooth.

I've driven 1 tons and wouldn't want to drive one on a daily basis again.

13. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

Yes, same here. When mine was new (04) 3.73 was standard for 3/4 ton and 4.10 optional. 4.10 was standard in the 1 ton.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Guess I should add that both of my trucks are manual transmissions, I know they usually shot the gear ratios up for junkomatics. :D

15. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

After my first trip from Alaska to New Mexico I traded my 1 ton SRW in on a DRW. The difference in towing stability is noticeable. Didn't see that much difference in fuel mileage. The problem is that if you get a 3/4 ton you will always be compromised. Of course a 3/4 ton can pull anything, but does it have the same brakes? Does it have the same capacity? Does an SRW have the same stability?

You could always checkout RV.net more perspective.

[​IMG]

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

On the Chevy/Gmc, with the optional Allison transmission makes a HUGE difference in towing. You have to get either the Duramax or the 8.1 gas for that tranny though. In 2010 GM did put a better towing tranny in their standard HDs, but nothing like the Allison.

17. The "daily driving" is something to consider...as this will be my daily driver. I will keep the Avalanche, but Lora will be driving it. I am on a bike most of the time, but there are times when i have to drive a vehicle for groceries etc so this Diesel will be my daily driver.

Oh, and it will have the Allison trans.

18. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

No way I believe you drive a truck. You always seem to be a newer Lincoln Continental kinda guy to me.

:D

19. Thanks for the input JB. Hell, that 11mpg is a lot better than what my Avalanche gets pulling my 7x12 (with 2 bikes, gear etc). Then again, that is primarily due to my lead foot. :D

20. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I'd find a 3/4 ton with a 3.73 in the rear w/Allison tranny. Honestly it won't have any issues pulling your setup. Newer ones like mine are rated at 20,000 GVWR with the 3.73. But to be honest they only throw that number up there for braking issues. It's never a matter if the Duramax can pull it it's more about can you stop whatever you are pulling. You'll get a better ride out of the 3/4 compared to the 1 ton.