1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i think i heard my neighbors dog just get eaten by a hawk...

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

And a happy day for the hawk! Hehe, wassup Speedy!

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

My Chiwauwau would fuk a Hawk up, but good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I've seen redtailed hawks take fox's...I doubt a little dog is gonna be more trouble. ;)

4. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

this one's a yawn....but it doesn't have to be :D

[​IMG]

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

It's the quiet ones that scare me...

6. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

I have 2 maltese, about 6 pounds each. I always scan the trees and sky before I let them out... I had a large bird circle over the house one day looking for snacks! That shit scares me!

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What for? Snake food?

8. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I know how ya feel, I saw a Chinook with a sling loitering overhead one day...

[​IMG]

The vet won't pick this thing up...

9. SpeedyE

I'd have a shotty by the door for if any came close to my dogs.

10. james walker

your dog might want you to fire the shotty before it got close to your dog. :D

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I remember when JU's cat Biaggi was snatched by an owl a few years ago. Sometimes, your friends really test the friendship by sharing certain stories with you...

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

After the above pics of vermin thanks for sharing a pic of an actual dog.:D

13. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

A few weeks ago I was walking the mutt at about 11 pm (hey, it's too hot during the day in Phx) when a large owl silently swooped down towards us and then pulled up just a few feet over my head, it was AWESOME!

After a few seconds it occured to me that the owl was seriously considering the mutt for a snack before she realized that the pooch was a little too big (she's about 50# and brundle colored so she's hard to see at night) and decided to keep going.

Weird, but cool. I still can't believe how silent that thing was, it didn't make any sound at all.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I'm with you.

Would love to have a youtube link to the little yapper's demise. :D

15. SpeedyE

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Hawks don't make a sound when they attack, and neither do owls. Letting out a scream before you sneak up on lunch doesn't work too well in the wild (only works in Denny's :). They only screech for territorial or mating reasons.

I'm guessing there was some other incident in that yard that made him screech. Maybe the dogs scared away his lunch while he tried to attack it?

I seriously doubt that either of those birds will mess with anything over 10 pounds. Rodents are more their speed. We saw an Osprey (size of a Bald Eagle) snatch up a 20" salmon from a river once. That bird barely made it to the nearest tree; almost ended up back in the river. Raptors can't let go of their prey once they hook onto it, in fact, many Bald Eagles drown from grabbing fish that are too heavy to fly away with. Hawks/Owls are much smaller, so i can't see them event thinking about a 20lb dog.

We have lots of hawks where we live. Often, they get chased by groups of crows in the air. As bad-ass as they look, but they're not as tough as you think.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[Homer Voice]DOH!![/Homer Voice]

19. james walker

witness the skrenth of Papa's talons of death. awesome. :D

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?