1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any golfers?

Discussion in 'General' started by divein6, Jul 12, 2010.

1. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I am using the noodle as well. I actually have good control with it but sacrifice a little distance.

2. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to spend. I'm a Titleist loyalist but I've tried the Nike and Callaway balls and are impressed by them.

3. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

until I can play with a minimum of one sleeve per round I do not feel like spending 50 for a box. Right now I am at about 4 to 6 balls per round

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I hit the other guy's balls that I find while walking through the woods looking for my own ball.

I never find the one I hit, but usually score 3 of some other poor fellas.:D

5. Dizzle

Dizzle Well-Known Member

I really like the Top Flite Gamer V2. And at $20 a dozen, I don't cringe when I loose one.

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My uncle and one of my best buds are both PGA teaching professionals. Whenever I ask about specific balls or this or that new club, their advice is almost always the same - it's not worth your money until you're a mid-80's player. They've told me over and over that time on the course and at the range, along with correcting any glaring bad spots in your swing is time and money better spent than on new technology. Anything in a mid-price range at the Golf Shack or sporting goods store is good enough for me, but I'm only a mid-90's player. YMMV.

FWIW, I too have re-newed my interest in golf this year and I'm trying to play once every couple weeks instead of 1 or 2 outings a year. Man, did my game go to shit in the 4 years since I quit playing regularly!

7. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

There's a reason almost every pro plays Titleist. Think of it as the Ohlins of the golf world. If you want the best buy ProV1s or ProV1Xs depending on how you swing.

8. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

There isn't really ONE good ball, as a ball that works great for one player, may be terrible for the next. There are a number of factors to consider such as swing type, swing speed, club loft, etc. If you have a consistent swing, do as someone else mentioned earlier and get a ball fitting. If you need help finding a location near you to have one done, let me know. (we make the hardware/software that measures it)

9. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

i have had good luck with that ball as well. though I have not played much golf lately, it probably wouldnt matter what I hit

10. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

1 question.. How can I keep the confidence or consistancy. Is it some ritual or what? I can show up and launch it perfectly." Right off the trailer" And I can hit a 3 iron a lot of the time. But i end up in a slump. Then I can't handle it.. Either topping it or digging in the dirt.

What's the deal? Is there a secret?
    I do left arm strait , head down... Most of the time that works.

11. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I try to drink enough that I stop caring where the ball goes.

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I generally just hit whatever I have dug out of the mud in the creeks, found in the bushes, or stolen from the range.

I do however drink the finest beer on the cart.

13. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

I typically just buy whatever is on sale and decent. A Pro V1 or X found in the woods is a big score for me! I started playing about 8 months ago. Lucky for me we have a top 50 ranked school about 2 miles from me so I hit the 4 day basics course up back at the beginning of the year.

Every friend of mine who is good or pro I've spoken too says the same thing. Stick with your equiptment for a while and just spend time at the range and playing before going crazy on other goodies.

I did splurge on a nice 3 wood from a golf shop that went out of business though!

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I played for about 18 months. I broke 80 and decided motorcycling was tougher, :D and probably haven't played more than a few rounds in the last 5 years. Playing 3-4 days a week really improves your game, but it also gets old, quick.

I eventually stuck with Callaway CB1 Blues. I tried the Noolde and ProV1's and many others, but couldn't gain any consistency with them.

On a side note, I played one of my better rounds with a range ball I found stuck in the mud. It was stained brown on one side and bright white on the other. So, YMMV! :D

Good luck, and stick with it. And always remember, the higher end courses are more expensive, because they're worth it, IMO.

15. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

16. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

17. KLM

KLM Registered User

Like most anything, you have to prioritize what is important for you; your golf ball is no different. The two ends of the spectrum are controlled distance and greenside control.
    Two piece balls generally have relatively hard covers and hard cores; the come off the driver with low(er) spin that encourages a straighter flight path. Really inexpensive options in this category are Top Flite XL for $9. Better choices would be Top Flite D2 or Callaway Diablo (these cores are softer than the ultra cheap XL) which then allows for more spin off shorter irons hitting into the greens while maintaining distance.

The Tour end of the spectrum has seen the development of four and now five piece ball options. The technology developments are in the dual core advancements which work to reduce spin with long clubs while still having serious spin from shorter clubs, especially wedges. Examples of those balls are Titleist ProV and Callaway Tour i Series. These are in the $40 range.

There are 3pc options that really try to bridge the spin/distance tradeoff in the $25-$30 range.

Based on what the OP seeks, I suggest the Callaway Diablo for $20; it is a really good distance ball that will spin some.

PS - you want to spin the ball? Be sure your wedges (or any club) are clean and the grooves are sharp. Wedges should be replaced yearly. The ball choice is very important as well, but you will spend more there.

18. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Just play what feels best to you. A ball with high spin can help for holding the green on approaches, most likely isnt going to help your short game anywhere. (just assuming your short game is terrible ;-))

The spin can also hurt you. Sometimes you'd like for the ball to release some. Also off of the tee a high spin or soft ball is going to spin more...which for a high handicap player, can mean that slice is going to slice more. I know some balls will list a different spin rate off of the tee and on approach shots. Just speaking generally.

If i was you I'd quit now. Thank me later.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  19. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Golf Balls are like race tires. 99% of golfers aren't good enough to really take advantage of tour level balls like most track day riders are skilled enough to know how there race tires feel on the track. If you don't have a golf swing that can work the ball both ways or hit em high or low than Rock Flites will do for anyone that isn't a scratch golf.

Play it as it lies.

20. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

Ok solid advice here. I really appreciate it. i think my next step is going to be to get a few lessons under my belt. I feel comfortable now but, i really should get some professional help. What are the standard rates for teaching ?