1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA forum on Iphone or Android - Special App.

Discussion in 'General' started by LWGP, Mar 10, 2010.

1. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

Sometimes I like to read the WERA forum on my iphone. Problem is, it kind of sucks sometimes, since the damn screen is so small. Lots of pinching and scrolling. I know, I know, rich man’s problems, etc.

There is apparently an ipnone app (and an android app as well) called Tapatalk that works with vBulletin-based forums such as this one, to format the text and stuff for smaller screens.

Mongo, other Admins: would it be possible to install this app on the server side? It is apparently free from http://www.tapatalk.com. I don't know if it is a pain in the ass, would require lots of extra maintenance, etc. It may crash the server 10 times an hour, I don’t know.

If it has been considered and rejected, fine. I could find no mention of it on the Board to this point. If it has not been considered, could somebody at least look into it? I think there are a fair number of WERA folks who could use it.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

A friend of mine is developing an app that will work with vBulletin forums. No server side support necessary. It's pretty slick.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

saw this recently on another forum, and i dont know if it is free anymore. the forum may have to buy it. anyway, i use it for other forums from my android phone and it works pretty freakin awesome.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's been considered and unless tapatalk wants to pay us I don't see any reason to help them sell their app to our users.

5. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

Did you see my post on another forum? If so, you and I may be the only two in the world who read both.

Mongo: I hear you, and that is a good reason not to do it. However, I don't mind paying for software that does something I like. Especially if it is only $5. Ultimately your call. Thanks for responding.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't mind you paying $5 for it either - I mind using our asset to make them money from you and every other user that would pay that $5.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

LWGP: what are you using, the android or iphone? my native browser in android (v1.6, htc hero) shows the beeb pretty damn perfect, although alot of scrolling is required.

doesnt stop me from posting from my phone though.

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

works fine for me w/ android.

9. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

I use my iphone (see my post) with Safari. It is OK, but there is alot of scrolling around and zooming and pinching. Could be a lot cleaner and tidier.

No big deal. Most of the time I shouldn't be spending time on the WERA BBS anyway. (Oh, hi boss!)

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Back from the dead..... Sean this is a pretty cool app and it is free for the base app. It also makes checking the beeb a breeze. Any chance you'll reconsider?

11. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

hahaha

thats what i was thinking..

12. robfromc

robfromc nice member

I use my Droid all the time here...the only thing thats weird is the PM drop down box.

13. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with my WebOS Palm Pre Plus. ;)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's free for me but not to everyone out there who would buy it to use it on our BBS - why should they make money off of all of us?

And yes I will reconsider even after saying that :D

15. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Easy there Droid users. No one is saying the Iphone doesn't display the forum correctly. The OP just doesn't like zooming in and then having to pan around to read everything.

<Bombshell, Iphone doesn't display forum correctly but Droid Does! i know I should have bought a Droid> LOL!

<sarcasm>

16. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

How about doing it as a favor to your iphone using members?

17. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Iphone - Forum runner

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I don't have any problems viewing the BBS on my iPhone. I use Safari (built in) and Atomic (pay app) web browsers. No problems with either one...

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think I've seen a ghost................:moon:

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I only have issues with some of the page number links being too small to hit with my fat fingers. It seems to me like Vbulletin should be making some small tweaks that fix the few small changes for mobile devices, since they're becoming a standard.

Another forum I read has a banner at the top that is too wide, so it screws up every page on my iphone. I don't ever go there on my phone because it is too annoying to manually zoom for every page.