1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does the RC51 get its name?

Discussion in 'General' started by TROX, Jun 17, 2010.

1. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

I'm curious... does anyone know where the RC51 gets its name?

2. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

wag:

the rc was the line of bikes rc30, rc45, rc51

and the number went up with displacement....it's approximately the cubic inches, so maybe it was the original designed displacement. or it's just increasing in interations....like versions.

someone will come along shortly and dispell my profoundly stated guess with actual facts.

3. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

5. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

RC stands for racing chassis doesn't it. I'm too lazy to click the link. The numbers, I don't know. I"m pretty sure they explain RC211V on Faster as RC= Racing Chassis 211 as 1st new design (**1) of the 21st Century (21*), and finally, V = the engine configeration.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

American press. They named it the RC51 when the rumors started of a Honda Ducati and eventually Honda named it the RC51 (even though they hated the "name").

Or so the rumors went back in the day.

8. danch

danch Well-Known Member

:confused: RC30 and RC45 were both 750s

9. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

Hey, thanks for being a dick. I've tried google, wikipedia, etc. and still don't know where the 51 comes from. I thought someone "in the biz" might have known.

Those of you who answered from your personal bank of knowledge, thank you. That is why I use forums and not google.

10. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

What the heck is a VTR?

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

HRC= Honda Racing Corp. The 51 has nothing to do with displacement, just Honda's number they assigned to the One Liter Ducati Eater.
    The rest of the world it's an SP2, or the same model we call it RVT1000r. Many Honda bikes of the past were assigned RC series numbers, a 5th gen VFR is a RC46. A Hawk has an RC name also, but I don't know it. The RC30 is probably the rarest or worth the most.

12. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Hawk = RC31

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

14. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

who cares about honda :)

Where did suzuki come up with GSXR?

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

all RC51 owners are required to take an "omerta" and defend the motorcycle platform on every internet message board!
    The bike has no flaws! :D

16. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

I don't know if anyone outside of Honda really knows why they chose to market it as RC51. But I can give a long winded answer to why it's probably just a marketing name which supports what Prawn says.

The RC30 and RC45 are from the vehicle description code within the VIN (post 1981), which are digits 4-8.

I believe R is for 750 to 900cc displacement and S is >900cc, C i can't remember about but think it's just a call out for a street bike, and the following three digits refer to the model. The RC30 has VDS that are both RC300 and RC301. The 1 identifies that it is a California model.

RC is most definitely not Racing Chassis. Note that the RC44 is the 750 Shadow and the RC46 is the VFR800.

So, following that convention the RC51 is actually an SC453 & SC454 (CA). That is true for both SP1s and SP2s.

That's the best i can figure.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Other than a wheelbarrow with a flat tire handles better? Riding on your fired up bar-b-que grill produces less ass heat? More people produce go fast parts for a Kio Rio than the RC51?

Wait, those aren't flaws, they're character! :D

18. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

it's the first 4 numubers of the VIN .the old vfr's ('86/'87) started with RC24.the vfr 750r
    started with RC30, and so on and so forth.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You're all a bunch of dig bags..in this case it stand for "Rarely Competitive".

20. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

Ouch. That one struck me right though the heart!